Changing profile name

Sages

My profile name is 14 characters long so it creates a problem when I need to sign a narrow log . I am thinking about changing my profile name and I know how to do that. My questions are this:

1. Can I create an aka (also known as) so that I could write a shorter name on the logs but still have them use my existing names when they appear on the found logs?

2. What happens to the log prior finds if I change my name? Does the new name appear on all of my old finds or will my name appear two different ways depending on when the find is created?

3. I found a user name that is short and  would work for me, and my friends would know who I was, but it is taken. The person created this username in 2015 and has never filled in any profile information and has not placed or found any caches. Is there a way to have geocaching.com delete this user so I could use it?

Many of these tiny log rolls, I'm lucky to get the month/day, and C1.  A CO wants a tiny log, they can't well blame me for not fitting all in.   :)

1 -  I simply shorten the cache log to C1.  If you're not caching in the area often, a "signed my name with..." addition to your log would help.

2 -  Your new name appears on the cache pages for finds (of course your old one's on the cache log). 

- Same thing happens in these forums (if you log out n back in...), your new name is given.

3 -  Iffy whether someone's cache name can be "taken".   Used to be that no one lost their name JIC they become active.

I asked a few times for one (no hides/finds since creating the account) and was denied. 

-  Years later a new cacher somehow got that name.

Can't hurt to ask at HQ's Help Center.

Edited by cerberus1
clarity
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Many of these tiny log rolls, I'm lucky to get the month/day, and C1.  A CO wants a tiny log, they can't well blame me for not fitting all in.   :)

1 -  I simply shorten the cache log to C1.  If you're not caching in the area often, a "signed my name with..." addition to your log would help.

2 -  Your new name appears on the cache pages for finds (of course your old one's on the cache log). 

- Same thing happens in these forums (if you log out n back in...), your new name is given.

3 -  Iffy whether someone's cache name can be "taken".   Used to be that no one lost their name JIC they become active.

I asked a few times for one (no hides/finds since creating the account) and was denied. 

-  Years later a new cacher somehow got that name.

Can't hurt to ask at HQ's Help Center.

I contacted the Help Center per your suggestion. I didn't have much hope that they would help me out but I got a message this morning that they have changed my profile name form Travelingsages to Sages. I am a happy camper now. :)  Thanks, cerberus1. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, travelingsages said:

I contacted the Help Center per your suggestion. I didn't have much hope that they would help me out but I got a message this morning that they have changed my profile name form Travelingsages to Sages. I am a happy camper now. :)  Thanks, cerberus1. 

Cool.  :)   Figured something was up when I checked your profile after checking my trail, and it comes up a "404" error.  :D

Logging out of the forums n back in will get that part straight.