Java error message: Bug?

Forestress

I made a new Wherigo with wherigokit, which I have used successfully before. I made the cartridge, and the new cache was published today. The person hunting for FTF reported a bug, which had not appeared during the building and testing process. The user got a message from WhereYouGo saying:

"You hit a bug! please report at openwig.googlecode.com and i'll fix it for you!

java.lang.NullPointer.Exception: Attempt to read from field 'cz.matejcik.openwig.Cartridge cz.matejcik.openwig.Engine.cartridge' on a null object reference"

After that the cartridge crashed and did not allow the user to get back to the location he was at. 

We tested the cartridge with two android phones using WhereYouGo software. The error message appeared at least when trying to save the cartridge and close the software. After that the phone did not recover from the error message (could not be closed). 

I tried to go to the address above, but this page does not exist. What should I do next?

I found a cartridge in which this error has appeared already in 2019. What is going on?

Thanks for the tip. I tried to do the above, but was unable to sign up (required for bug reporting) to the hub properly.  It does not verify my email although I do receive the emails from the hub, and have tried alternative methods to get the mail address verified. 

Bummer! This is getting really annoying!

2 hours ago, Forestress said:

Thanks for the tip. I tried to do the above, but was unable to sign up (required for bug reporting) to the hub properly.  It does not verify my email although I do receive the emails from the hub, and have tried alternative methods to get the mail address verified. 

Bummer! This is getting really annoying!

That’s unfortunate. You could also try contacting the email listed on the repository’s home page. 

whereyougo@cgeo.org

8 hours ago, The Cooke Family said:

Did you ever manage to sort this as this has been reported to me today with my cartridge which was created in whereigokit as well

There's not much we can do, since this is an issue with the app, not your cartridge. I'll try contacting them again, though. 

Had a similar error on my cartridge by Android users:

java.lang.ClassCastException:

java.lang.String cannot be cast into java.lang.Double

In my case a LUA function separated a formatted time string into minutes and hour for further use in some calculations:  

varTime  = "09:34"

tx.hr, tx.mn = string.match(varTime, "(%d+):(%d+)")

RESULT:

tx.hr = "09"

tx.mn = "34"

While the cartridge ran without problems in the Urwigo-compiler and on iOS, Android complained. I explicitly added a conversion tonumber() and then it worked as well.

ty.hr = tonumber(tx.hr)   [...]

RESULT : ty.hr = 9

Best guess here: the Android player needs more exlicit kinds of declarations that are not necessary for other devices and you are using a variable, that is not defined before it's first use.

Try to set an initial value for the variable. e.g. x=0 for a numeric used parameter or even s="null" as a string for a alphanumeric one (or "x" or "empty" or maybe even just a blank space - so java knows what to deal with later on).

Like the Android-Java-thingy couldn't handle the equivalent to the datatype "variant" - while others could. 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:00 AM, SpiritGuide said:

Maybe suggest those Android users try the Wherigo player in Geooh instead of WhereYouGo?

hahaha! This is also a way do deal with it, you made my day ... and if Geooh doesn't work either, they can always buy an iOS device! :D

All joking aside: in my case the issue could be identified and solved. Just because there's not a very good documentation of how to code WIG LUA cartridges for different apps and operating systems it doesn't mean, it's the users problem how to deal with it. Imo it's more about improving the programming skills to avoid this kind of issue next time. And this forum is a good place to share this kind of knowledge to avoid further issues.
But this leads way off the topic.