Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
outdoorsoccer

What type of survey marker is this?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

  I was walking a new trail today and happened to see a yellow object secured by pink tape to a tree.  I went to get take a closer look and it turns out it is a survey marker?  I assume it is temporary, but wanted to see if anyone could provide more detail about it as I have never seen one before.  I have attached some pics. Sorry for the orientation.  They look correct on my phone, but uploaded strangely.  Thank you in advance for any help and/or info.  

Take care

 

  ODS

6F750476-F8E6-4FE2-92EB-0D0A39C1D8C6.jpeg

391275C0-702E-4D64-BC44-5461BFF6578E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

What part of the world are you in?  That would give a local benchmarker a clue - maybe a temporary point for a cadastral marker having to do with a timber sale or building project.  kayakbird

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, kayakbird said:

What part of the world are you in?  That would give a local benchmarker a clue - maybe a temporary point for a cadastral marker having to do with a timber sale or building project.  kayakbird

I’m in North Carolina.  The marker was found along the greenway heading away from the tennis courts and passingthe closed playground on your left at  the Anne Jones Park in Cary, NC  The greenway runs between houses, but the marker was found in a small semi-wooded area.   Thank you for your help

 

ODS

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like a reference tie (see words on tag) to a nearby bench mark that is harder to find, or possibly a temporary bench mark itself if the tag was all the crew had to label it with so the words don't really mean it.

 

I see nothing cadastral about it, as it isn't labeled as a property corner might be.

 

If it were for horizontal position measurements on a project, folks around here probably would have called it Control Point CP1.

 

Did you see any evidence of nearby construction? Is this a location where a flood plain elevation certificate might be needed for a nearby building?

Share this post


Link to post

If you are in Cary, do you know Paul, a real estate guy who used to be very active in this forum as PFF?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Bill93 said:

Looks like a reference tie (see words on tag) to a nearby bench mark that is harder to find, or possibly a temporary bench mark itself if the tag was all the crew had to label it with so the words don't really mean it.

 

I see nothing cadastral about it, as it isn't labeled as a property corner might be.

 

If it were for horizontal position measurements on a project, folks around here probably would have called it Control Point CP1.

 

Did you see any evidence of nearby construction? Is this a location where a flood plain elevation certificate might be needed for a nearby building?

I did not see any sign of nearby construction.  The tag location was in A semi-wooded location that was in-between already established houses.  There was a lot of survey tape around the area.  Could be for a flood plain elevation certificate as the area was rather wet.  Some of the houses on the left side of the trail were higher up than the houses on the right side of the trail.  

 

   I tried looking on NGS website, but didn’t see any nearby BMs,  but admittedly my iPhone was having a hard time with the website.  I’ll try again on the home computer.  
 

   Thank you both for your help.

 

    Take care,

 

    ODS

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Bill93 said:

If you are in Cary, do you know Paul, a real estate guy who used to be very active in this forum as PFF?

I don’t know Paul, but I have read his logs and found them quite helpful.  I think he may have just recently started back caching again as there was a couple of new caches places by a PFF.   I may try and reach out to him for some help.

 

   Thank you, 

 

   ODS

Share this post


Link to post

That is Bench Mark #1.  An elevation point for some survey job.

 

https://www.berntsen.com/Surveying/Specialty-Markers/BenchTies/ctl/ViewProduct/mid/598/itemID/487

 

BenchTie - The Vertical Surface Control Point

  • Recessed dimple on top for prism pole
  • High visibility tag for marking data
  • Resections are made instantly and accurately
  • Light weight
  • Pre drill to set in concrete
  • Use in trees or poles as permanent or temporary benchmarks

The revolutionary vertical surface control point, BenchTie can be used on trees and poles. BenchTie comes with a high visibility tag for marking data. It is molded around a five-inch (127mm) hardened zinc-coated spike. Other features include a recessed dimple on top and a high-density lightweight casing. 

Available in high visibility yellow.

 

PS - Its not unusual for some small projects where no vertical control is nearby to use an assumed elevation for cost savings. Also that they are often placed in areas that won't be disturbed so its survives any project work.  They are planing or investigating the feasibility of building something nearby I would presume and probably mapped the area. 

Edited by Z15

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Z15 said:

That is Bench Mark #1.  An elevation point for some survey job.

 

https://www.berntsen.com/Surveying/Specialty-Markers/BenchTies/ctl/ViewProduct/mid/598/itemID/487

 

BenchTie - The Vertical Surface Control Point

  • Recessed dimple on top for prism pole
  • High visibility tag for marking data
  • Resections are made instantly and accurately
  • Light weight
  • Pre drill to set in concrete
  • Use in trees or poles as permanent or temporary benchmarks

The revolutionary vertical surface control point, BenchTie can be used on trees and poles. BenchTie comes with a high visibility tag for marking data. It is molded around a five-inch (127mm) hardened zinc-coated spike. Other features include a recessed dimple on top and a high-density lightweight casing. 

Available in high visibility yellow.

 

PS - Its not unusual for some small projects where no vertical control is nearby to use an assumed elevation for cost savings. Also that they are often placed in areas that won't be disturbed so its survives any project work.  They are planing or investigating the feasibility of building something nearby I would presume and probably mapped the area. 

Hi Z15,

 

   Funny thing is that I saw 2 more of these tags (no writing  on them though) along the Neuse River Trail later on the week after finding the one marked BM#1. 
 

   Thank you for the information. 

 

   Take care,

 

    ODS 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, outdoorsoccer said:

I don’t know Paul, but I have read his logs and found them quite helpful.  I think he may have just recently started back caching again as there was a couple of new caches places by a PFF.   I may try and reach out to him for some help.

 

Years ago (2000s) I enjoyed a great day benchmarking with Paul. He's a gregarious and generous fellow who speaks North Carolina with much more authority than I can muster as he reassured residents who wondered what we were doing that "we're not gonna widen your road, and we're not gonna raise your taxes!"

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...