Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Max and 99

Launching those satellites is expensive!

We just saw a SpaceX launch carrying a GPS III satellite today as proved by my grainy imagery!B) Probably quite expensive!

682B70A6-C853-418F-B7B7-E93855F0E779.jpeg

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

We just saw a SpaceX launch carrying a GPS III satellite today as proved by my grainy imagery!B) Probably quite expensive!

682B70A6-C853-418F-B7B7-E93855F0E779.jpeg

I missed today's launch but I have seen others. It's fascinating to watch! If you haven't seen the satellite train yet, this is another chance. I've seen four. It doesn't get any less exciting.

"A system of over 30 GPS (short for Global Positioning Satellites) are whizzing around in orbit right now."

This is just confusing.  GPS stands for Global Positioning System.  It's the satellites, receivers, and other ground based stations that complete the "system".  According to the GPS wikipedia page there are actually 33 satellites in orbit but only 31 in use (27 active, the rest in stand by mode) and that the Global Positioning System is managed by the United States Space Force.  

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

"A system of over 30 GPS (short for Global Positioning Satellites) are whizzing around in orbit right now."

This is just confusing.  GPS stands for Global Positioning System.  It's the satellites, receivers, and other ground based stations that complete the "system".  According to the GPS wikipedia page there are actually 33 satellites in orbit but only 31 in use (27 active, the rest in stand by mode) and that the Global Positioning System is managed by the United States Space Force.  

Yep, dumbed down so anyone can "understand."  But, IIRC (I ran out of fingers and toes to confirm, and my math classes were many decades ago ;)), 33 is "over 30".  But, then you also have to include the other countries satellites (I know there are at least three systems active).