Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Appeltern

Unused account

Is it possible to delete an account by geocaching HQ? I would like to have a name of an account which is not used for more then 10 years and has 0 founds.

I feel this depends on who gets your mail.   I asked for similar, almost the same as I have now, belonging to an inactive no finds/hides account.

It was explained that it's an account, and they may join soon.  About a year later I saw a brand-new member with that name...

Stop back and tell folks what happened.  Thanks.  :)

• Helpful 1

42 minutes ago, team appeltern said:

Is it possible to delete an account by geocaching HQ? I would like to have a name of an account which is not used for more then 10 years and has 0 founds.

Why?

43 minutes ago, team appeltern said:

which is not used for more then 10 years and has 0 founds

I think this may be possible,  IF no account activity at all.  You can't see if the account has logged dnfs, or write note or even an archived unpublished cache page.

I believe that from time to time now a sweep of unused, untouched accounts is done.  If the username you want is close to being swept, maybe you can have it.

• Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

Why?

Because i would like to have that name.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TmdAndGG said:

Why?

For me, it was simple. 

I had a name in mind, something I've been called for many years, but that unused-for-many-years account was taken by another.

I couldn't get that name I really wanted,  simply because someone "did it first".

We see a bunch like that, type in a name on "find another player", and besides the one you looked at, there's a dozen "close" with no finds/hides.

- Sock accounts in the waiting...

Ok, I get it. Here's another good thread for the problem. If you don't want to wait indefinitely, try variations of the name you want.

I asked HQ by email for my problem and they changed my name to what I wanted. So after ten years I've got the name I wanted, big applause to HQ :D

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1