Log Types to include "Attempted" Request

I am the owner of several caches and obviously get the occasional "Did Not Find" log entries.  After repeated entries of DNF's I pay a visit to GZ and check everything is in order before I get a polite reminder from the Reviewer about the repeated DNF's and how the rules should be played etc etc.
Just recently I seem to be getting more DNF log entries although there is nothing wrong with the actual cache,  the problem seems to be with the surrounding area being over grown with nettles and plants etc due to the warm weather. (a visit to the same cache during the winter, the area would be clear)

At the moment the IOS app allows only three options of logging. "Found it", "DId not find" and "Write Note".
Please could we have another option put in place that would be "Attempted" that would mean that although the cacher did not actually get to cache itself,  an attempt of at least trying to find it could be recorded.  A note could then be left if required about why the attempted was not a Find.
I cannot say how logs are recorded with Android platform.
I use a Garmin Oregon and there is an option to leave an "attempted" log but how this reports back to Geocache HQ I do not know.
image.thumb.png.e011665d8ff030dbb7c7a4f1219f5b3e.png
Any thoughts?

It reminds me of a caching tour that I set with a group of friends.

The plan was... meeting on a pizza restaurant and after the lunch we would go to a handful of already planned caches.

But... we took immense time appreciating several pizzas and the lunch took all lunchtime break and we need to return to work.

We logged DNF in all the planned caches. :)

DNF will do the trick... the geocacher can explain in the log the proper reason, of course.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

The plan was... meeting on a pizza restaurant and after the lunch we would go to a handful of already planned caches.

But... we took immense time appreciating several pizzas and the lunch took all lunchtime break and we need to return to work.

DNF will do the trick... the geocacher can explain in the log the proper reason, of course.

You should have put a Write Note or even no log at all you didn't even leave the pizza place...

If I am not mistaken CHS doesn't take into account why DNF got logged so it would red flag a cache for the wrong reasons.

Not sure a new log type is required but an indication on the browse map/app that you put a write note would be nice when you browse the map (replacing the cache symbol by a pencil symbol maybe).

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
2 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Sorry, but I think WN not DNF would have been a better choice of log.  No log at all would also have been perfectly adequate.

• Upvote 3
15 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Sorry, but I think WN not DNF would have been a better choice of log.  No log at all would also have been perfectly adequate.

With my last sentence, I gave my opinion to the OP question... our amazing lunch episode/anecdote was just that, an anecdote from 2008/2009 (long before CHS)  to cherish... :)

Edited by RuideAlmeida

There already is a log that handles situations like that... a Write Note.     :)

Though whenever some of us say that, a lot say DNF means what they want it to.

Seems most say "DNF" reminds them to try again for whatever reason they didn't find and sign.   

- So good luck changing anyone's mind even if that log option was available.   ;)

1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

With my last sentence, I gave my opinion to the OP question... our amazing lunch episode/anecdote was just that, an anecdote from 2008/2009 (long before CHS)  to cherish... :)

You're entitled to your opinion to the OP question; I just stated my opinion of your choice of log type.

• Upvote 1

Sorry! Being turned back by nettles would still be "attempted" in my opinion, so I would file a DNF even it a "did not attempt" was available. (Well, actually, I'm a little vague about what you're suggesting, but I assume from your story you're trying to distinguish "did not find" from "did not find but at least I tried to find it, so it might not be there." Most people suggest "did not find (but looked hard)" from "did not seriously attempt to find the cache", i.e., something lesser that would not trigger the automated heath daemon.)

The problem, in my opinion, is not the DNFs but, rather, the automated mechanism GS has introduced (the Cache Health Score) that takes all DNFs at the same value without paying any attention to whether the actual logs suggest a seasonal issue that caused the DNF. In other words, the problem is that you're getting alerts -- and, in fact, ultimately archivals -- because of a perfectly reasonable DNF that's the CO would understand as a seasonal problem, but which, never the less, triggers health alerts because of GS's quest for perfection.