Verify a Cache?

____Manwhalo

There is a cache near me that is probably gone due to a car wreck. According to the log, the owner has moved out of state. How can I get someone to verify if it's there or not? I would love to place a new cache in the location as it's a great spot near my house.

Thank you for any help!

Just now, ____Manwhalo said:

There is a cache near me that is probably gone due to a car wreck. According to the log, the owner has moved out of state. How can I get someone to verify if it's there or not? I would love to place a new cache in the location as it's a great spot near my house.

Thank you for any help!

Go look for it?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Go look for it?

I don't have scuba gear. The whole structure is gone, sent into a river. But it has been rebuilt recently. (It's an easement on my property).

I have looked for it, my wife has looked for it, my daughter has looked for it, and the last person in the log has also said the cache is likely gone due to the car wreck.

Thanks for your help.

6 minutes ago, ____Manwhalo said:

I don't have scuba gear. The whole structure is gone, sent into a river. But it has been rebuilt recently. (It's an easement on my property).

I have looked for it, my wife has looked for it, my daughter has looked for it, and the last person in the log has also said the cache is likely gone due to the car wreck.

Thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, GeocachingGoku said:

but this person who posted this obviously likes the cache. and there's a chance the owner doesn't even know what happened

If the OP wants to keep the listing alive, he can ask the CO if he would like to transfer ownership. Then the OP can replace and own the cache.

If the owner doesn't respond, the next step after the NM would be to log an NA (needs archived) and then, one it is archived,  the OP can place their own new cache there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
40 minutes ago, ____Manwhalo said:

Thank you for any help!

Cache # please, I'm gonna try to contact this guy

Log a Needs Maintenance, clearly explaining the details of the situation. Even though the CO is out of state, it's still his responsibility to maintain the cache. A NM log will send him an email to notify him that there's a problem with the cache, and if he needs to, he can arrange for someone local to check and/or maintain it.

If after a reasonable time (a month or so, maybe a bit longer if your area is still in lockdown) there is no response, log a Needs Archived. This notifies the reviewer for your area and may help nudge the CO to maintain.

If the CO doesn't maintain after a reasonable time of the NA, the reviewer may step in and take further action.

Eventually the cache may be archived by the CO or by the reviewer, at which time another player may place a cache in the area.

Note that AT ANY TIME in this process, the CO can take action: maintaining it himself or having someone else maintain it, then logging the Owner Maintenance log; archiving it; offering it up for adoption. A NM (and possibly a subsequent NA) log is NOT a death knell on the cache. It's the system in place to notify COs and reviewers of the need of maintenance, etc. on a cache.

Edited by TriciaG
clarification
  • Helpful 7
43 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Log a Needs Maintenance, clearly explaining the details of the situation. Even though the CO is out of state, it's still his responsibility to maintain the cache. A NM log will send him an email to notify him that there's a problem with the cache, and if he needs to, he can arrange for someone local to check and/or maintain it.

If after a reasonable time (a month or so, maybe a bit longer if your area is still in lockdown) there is no response, log a Needs Archived. This notifies the reviewer for your area and may help nudge the CO to maintain.

If the CO doesn't maintain after a reasonable time of the NA, the reviewer may step in and take further action.

Eventually the cache may be archived by the CO or by the reviewer, at which time another player may place a cache in the area.

Note that AT ANY TIME in this process, the CO can take action: maintaining it himself or having someone else maintain it, then logging the Owner Maintenance log; archiving it; offering it up for adoption. A NM (and possibly a subsequent NA) log is NOT a death knell on the cache. It's the system in place to notify COs and reviewers of the need of maintenance, etc. on a cache.

I'm going to try your suggestions. THANK YOU!!!

And thanks to everyone for the help and replys.

1 hour ago, ____Manwhalo said:

Thanks for your help.

I'm so curious what that structure looks like, why scuba gear is needed, and how such a structure is on your easement. What an all-around unique problem!

22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm so curious what that structure looks like, why scuba gear is needed, and how such a structure is on your easement. What an all-around unique problem!

There's a small ravine that flows through the property. There's also a public road with a bridge and guard rail. Vehicles miss the turn a few times a year and end up in the ravine. One of the wrecks took out all the fencing and guard rail.

Who knows, the cache might still be somewhere there. It's just a cool spot that needs a hide if that one is gone.

Picture of the car.

Car in River.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
3 minutes ago, ____Manwhalo said:

There's a small ravine that flows through the property. There's also a public road with a bridge and guard rail. Vehicles miss the turn a few times a year and end up in the ravine. One of the wrecks took out all the fencing and guard rail.

Who knows, the cache might still be somewhere there. It's just a cool spot that needs a hide if that one is gone.

Picture of the car.

Car in River.jpg

Yowzer!!

5 hours ago, ____Manwhalo said:

Picture of the car.

Car in River.jpg

Yikes. Is everyone okay that was in the car? 

Edited by HunterandSamuel
5 hours ago, ____Manwhalo said:

Picture of the car.

Car in River.jpg

Cars crash there, and you think it's a great place for a cache?

Or are you planning to place it away from where the cars crash?

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1