Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Keystone

Guidance on Cache Publications in Restricted Counties

Dear Pennsylvania Caching Community,

The Pennsylvania Community Volunteer Reviewers would like to update the caching community - both cache owners and the folks searching - regarding changes in reviewing and publication practices as a result of COVID-19. The information presented here is accurate as of March 27. We expect it may change going forward, and we will update the Pennsylvania section of the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki accordingly. Our primary focus is to support the health and safety of the entire community, including cachers and non-cachers alike. We seek to comply with current and emerging information and requirements from health and government experts.  Currently nineteen counties in Pennsylvania are under a "Stay Home" order:  Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Butler, Chester, Delaware, Erie, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lehigh, Luzerne, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, Pike, Wayne, Westmoreland and York counties (the "Restricted Counties").

At this time, in the Restricted Counties we will only be publishing caches in those locations which are consistent with social distancing, such as on hiking trails, and/or far from residential areas and businesses. We will not be publishing event caches, caches in or near residential areas, caches near businesses, or caches in locations known to us as officially closed. If we are unsure about a particular cache, we will not publish it. We realize this approach is imperfect, but we feel it is both consistent with Governor Wolf's “Stay Home” order (which makes an exception for visiting parks and open recreational spaces for physical exercise) and preferable to stopping all cache publication.

We will continue to monitor COVID-19 information and communication and will continue to revisit which caches we can publish. Our commitment to look at each cache within 7 days of submission has not changed, though it’s possible that something may change between a first look and when a cache is ready for publication.

Thank you for understanding, and stay well.

Keystone, OReviewer and Skeetsurfer

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the info and for all the work you put into this activity. Will pending caches, those started but not submitted for review and publication be affected? I think there is a time limit from the initial start until submission. I have two in that situation at present.

A new cache will be evaluated under the above guidance at the time of submission.  So, a lamp post cache in a big box store's parking lot within one of the eight counties would not be published if submitted today, even if the cache owner has been working on the cache for a month.

Also see the last sentence - things can change between the time of initial submission and when the cache is ready for publication.  If I put a cache "on hold" last week because it mentioned the name of the big box store, and the cache owner fixed it today, I would not publish it today.  Another example is if additional counties are added to the list covered by the Governor's order.

In your case you do not live and hide caches in one of the eight impacted counties, so I would be able to publish a parking lot cache unless and until your local area becomes subject to the "Stay Home" order.

I updated the original post to reflect the addition of Lehigh and Northampton counties to the list of "Restricted Counties" based on today's amendment to the original "Stay Home" order.

• Helpful 1

I updated the original post to reflect the complete list of 19 counties that are now subject to the "Stay Home" order.