Louisiana Fall Meeting/Camp out -- WOOHOOO!

TJ Willy

Steve - got your message. Come on down Sunday early. I know I have a hunt planned for Sunday morning. A multi that should take us around a bit. I was planning on splitting into teams and giving each team a different set of starting coordinates. All ending in the same place. A little competition among the group. Make it in by 9:00 if you can.

~ Phil

When I first decided to do this back during the last time y'all got together, I was already beside myself in anticipation. I am thinking that most everyone that has replied so far except Steve will be there the night. Those that don't go there overnight will miss a cool night hunt. I really hope more people sign up. The more we have there, the better feedback we can get as a group and really get a tight Association together. Know whut I mean Vern?

Phil

This sounds like a fun time to be had by all. Thinking the temps will be cooler by then to make camping nice too! We're not too familiar with the area being that weve only been through there one time. Anyone know if there are any campgrounds nearby that we can drive the motorhome to? By description it doesnt sound like we can get to Evangeline, but someplace close might be ok. If not we'll sleep in the back of the Jeep,,,,hehe. Looking forwared to the event!!!

Well, your right about the motor home. The Jeep will feel nice and at home though. We will be in tent city if you want to join us. If you are set on the motorhome, I know there is a KOA up the road. I have never been back there and cannot give much info on it. But it should be listed as off of Hwy 28 West in their listings. There is also an "official" camp ground for Kisatchie on the other side of the lake. I believe they accomodate motor homes. I have always done the primative thing, so I don't know too much about it. May I suggest you call the Park Service? Louisiana has an 800 number for all state parks. It is listed on thier website. A quick google.com search should lead you to thier website. Let me know what you decide. We would love to have you camping there with us!!!

Phil

Of important things you might wanna bring with you to the event..

It might be a good idea to share ideas, since I always forget something I really need on a trip.

Here is a list of things to start with.. everyone add in your ideas..

Essential Items

-Food (Steaks, Sandwiches, Hamburgers, Etc.)

-Water

-Beer in Large Ice Chest

-GPS & Batteries

-Palm with Custom Queries

-Cache Trades

-Tent

-Bedding

-Flashlight & Batteries

-Extra Clothes, Shoes, Socks, Etc

-Firestarters (Matches, Lighters, 2 Sticks, Etc)

-Mosquito Repellant

-Camp Stove & Fuel for any cooking

Ok thats a start... lets add to it with others ideas..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

* Extra Lighting. I have a lantern, but I believe we will need a few.

* Extra Fuel Cells

* If you have a hydration pack - fill it with water for the hikes.

* As a reminder and if it has been a while since you last treated your tent, you may want to give it a quick water repellent treatment. You can get the stuff at Wal-Mart. It is in the camping area and it has an orange top on the can.

* I am bringing my Mountain Bike in case I have time to get a ride in with Russell.

* FIRST AID KIT!

* Saw/Hatchet for Fire Wood

* Starter Logs (little ones)

* Camping chairs

If I think of more, I will post them.

See y'all later,

Phil

(and I too will get the next farthest place from Doug)

I asked Buck8point in the monday night chat if MS cachers could crash the party. He said OK but I want to be sure that we are welcome. If we can come we will probably set down at the KOA with our trailer unless I can dig out all the old tent camping stuff

Lane & Joy Smith

Jackson, MS

Be verry verry quiet we're hunting caches

Sure - Buck8point guessed correctly. You are more than welcome to join us. I believe we will have a Texas cacher and his wife there also. We will be discussing some Lousiana related topics that night, but you are more than welcome to contribute. icon_wink.gif

Be sure to log your intentions on the event site as that is where I am taking the official count.'

Thanks,

Phil

LaGeocaching

Sure - Buck8point guessed correctly. You are more than welcome to join us. I believe we will have a Texas cacher and his wife there also. We will be discussing some Lousiana related topics that night, but you are more than welcome to contribute. icon_wink.gif

Be sure to log your intentions on the event site as that is where I am taking the official count.'

Thanks,

Phil

LaGeocaching

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:
Deodorant/Toiletries?

Oops... I had both those items on my original list, but in my hasty editing I must have mistakenly cropped them... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Dibs on the spot that's _FAR_ away from buck8point! icon_smile.gif

Yea Alex that sounds like a plan to me, I hear you snore REALLY LOUD... icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:
Deodorant/Toiletries?

Oops... I had both those items on my original list, but in my hasty editing I must have mistakenly cropped them... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Dibs on the spot that's _FAR_ away from buck8point! icon_smile.gif

Yea Alex that sounds like a plan to me, I hear you snore REALLY LOUD... icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by cachercarry:

I asked Buck8point in the monday night chat if MS cachers could crash the party.

OF COURSE yall are surely welcome Lane...

We have a fairly tight knit group in Louisiana, and we certainly encourage neighbors to come see how we do things in the Bayou Country.

Any chance you think we could get JamieZ interested in comming too? I plan on sending him an invite..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

...you think we could get JamieZ interested in comming too? I plan on sending him an invite..

I can't make a weekend. I can't make a weekday for that matter. During the summer, I was free during the week, but now that school has started, I have no days off.

Jamie

Hey Gang,

I have decided to go ahead and list the caches that will be put out for the event. These caches will be permenant so they will stay listed after the event.

Check geocaching.com FRIDAY night/SATURDAY morning before you leave to get/download the cache details. That way, you can already have them with you when you are here. icon_smile.gif

Later

Phil

Happy Caching!!

Hey Gang,

I have decided to go ahead and list the caches that will be put out for the event. These caches will be permenant so they will stay listed after the event.

Check geocaching.com FRIDAY night/SATURDAY morning before you leave to get/download the cache details. That way, you can already have them with you when you are here. icon_smile.gif

Later

Phil

Happy Caching!!

On further consideration, that would be way cool if more folks want to show up Friday night. The only reason I did not start this thing on Friday evening was b/c I figured most folks would be unavailable. At any rate, come on! (Maybe most of the firewood will already be gathered up. icon_biggrin.gif I am sure y'all won't mind... icon_razz.gif)

I live only a short drive from the campsite area. If y'all want, we could hit the local Chili's or something (maybe?? - depending on work -- or I could give directions - waypoints - if y'all need wal-mart etc..). They always have happy hour at this Chili's. icon_wink.gif

Great Idea Russell/Beast! Let me know what y'all want to do.

(Beast - I have you down for the shirt.)

I also have two new travel bugs ready to be released to the wild. They will be in the event caches.

Also - Y'all feel free to hide some caches while you are up here!!!!!

I plan on hitting all the new ones in this area Saturday so I will be fresh out.

On further consideration, that would be way cool if more folks want to show up Friday night. The only reason I did not start this thing on Friday evening was b/c I figured most folks would be unavailable. At any rate, come on! (Maybe most of the firewood will already be gathered up. icon_biggrin.gif I am sure y'all won't mind... icon_razz.gif)

I live only a short drive from the campsite area. If y'all want, we could hit the local Chili's or something (maybe?? - depending on work -- or I could give directions - waypoints - if y'all need wal-mart etc..). They always have happy hour at this Chili's. icon_wink.gif

Great Idea Russell/Beast! Let me know what y'all want to do.

(Beast - I have you down for the shirt.)

I also have two new travel bugs ready to be released to the wild. They will be in the event caches.

Also - Y'all feel free to hide some caches while you are up here!!!!!

I plan on hitting all the new ones in this area Saturday so I will be fresh out.

quote:
Originally posted by lageocaching:

Buck8point,

Can you send me a list of those you plan to invite? This would help me in organizing the cache hunts.

Phil

Phil,

I dont really have a list, I just sent some personal eMails out thru the Geocaching site to some of the other active cachers in the state that

have either been to events in the past, or have hit some of my caches in the past, and never made an event yet, or even a few I have enjoyed thier caches in the past, and trying to get them interested. Just to name a few..

Bob B. - Bob & Bobby Bertaut (The virtual Father of Geocaching in Louisiana)

Snark - A nice guy from St. Francisville who attended the last gathering.

Me & My Boys - Adrien Delabasty and his crew from St. James Proud & Mitey Oaks Fame

Khan - a New Orleans based crew who cache together as International Sin Set

The Rat Pack - Araby Based crew who made it to Acadiana Geocachers Luncheon.

Shantenance - One of the owners of Waterfall3.

Team Orgeron - Some new area cachers outta BR I think.

Mikewiz - Cacher outta Hammond I think.

There were a few others...

I was mostly just trying to get some more people interested in comming out and passing a good time with us..

It will surely be a GREAT time either way..

Buck8Poin

Buck8Point

I plan to have three caches out (new) for us. The one Sunday morning will be a team event. The number of teams depends on the number of folks. I have not figured it all out yet, but I may try to make it more difficult if I see there are going to be a fair number of people here.

We will see.

Thanks,

Phil

I received your check today for your shirts.

Everyone else that has ordered a shirt/shirts.

Please send payment if you don't mind to:

Phil Golden

2030 Donahue Ferry Rd

Pineville, LA

I need as much upfront as possible to send to the printer.

Thanks gang,

Phil

(SS $12 - add $1 for XXL and up)

(LS $14 - add $1 for XXL and up)

icon_cool.gif

I received your check today for your shirts.

Everyone else that has ordered a shirt/shirts.

Please send payment if you don't mind to:

Phil Golden

2030 Donahue Ferry Rd

Pineville, LA

I need as much upfront as possible to send to the printer.

Thanks gang,

Phil

(SS $12 - add $1 for XXL and up)

(LS $14 - add $1 for XXL and up)

icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by lageocaching:

Doug -

Do you have a Palm type PDA? If so, I can beam you the new caches. I probably won't have them listed before y'all come down Friday. I will wait till the last minute for it. (If you are not wireless)

Phil

Phil,

I NEVER go Caching without it..

That will work since Im probably gonna be heading up Friday night.

Better make sure you give ol erik88l-r an extra day or so to approve your new caches since he gets really over worked near the weekend

Buck8Point

Ok - I have not used my palm Vx for caching as of yet, but I am sure there is a way to beam cache pages to other Palms. I would think there is a way anyway.

It has been my experience that caches usually take two hours or less to approve. Atleast for the 11 I have hidden. In the past, Jeremy and I have discussed the problem with caches hanging out there unapproved. At any rate, I will email the link (if unapproved to those attending the event - if I have an email address for them) Friday evening. Between EVERYTHING else I need to do. icon_redface.gif

Phil

Ok - I have not used my palm Vx for caching as of yet, but I am sure there is a way to beam cache pages to other Palms. I would think there is a way anyway.

It has been my experience that caches usually take two hours or less to approve. Atleast for the 11 I have hidden. In the past, Jeremy and I have discussed the problem with caches hanging out there unapproved. At any rate, I will email the link (if unapproved to those attending the event - if I have an email address for them) Friday evening. Between EVERYTHING else I need to do. icon_redface.gif

Phil

Its easy I'll show you..

Anyways just to be safe maybe print out a few copies for those that arent PDA Equipped, or just incase some Particular Volunteer Admin has some vague philosophical problem with any aspect of your caches, cuz I can promise you it wil take him a LOT longer than 2 hours to approve it then...

Plus he claims he is really overwhelmed on or near weekends.... icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Its easy I'll show you..

Anyways just to be safe maybe print out a few copies for those that arent PDA Equipped, or just incase some Particular Volunteer Admin has some vague philosophical problem with any aspect of your caches, cuz I can promise you it wil take him a LOT longer than 2 hours to approve it then...

Plus he claims he is really overwhelmed on or near weekends.... icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Hope to see y'all show up. Dogs are allowed. I suggest though bringing something to *unfortunately* tie them up with. I will have Petie out there and he is great with People but not typically to good with other dogs until he really gets to know them. Most dogs, he makes nervous because he is SO hyper. He would not harm a flee, but he is just very H Y P E R! I can't leave him at home, b/c there is no one to watch over him... Steph and I will be there all weekend.

I have been giving serious consideration to Bringing Mr. Bouillon along myself.

Unfortunately he only has 2 speeds..

Sleeping and WIDE OPEN....

He is great with most other dogs though..

My only concern is weither or not I wanna have to deal with him the entire time..

He still is a bit confused as to why he is no longer allowed to jump up in the front seat of The Rock and ride in the First Class Section with the Leather Seats and the Climate Control AC... He is now banished to Roughing it the Coach section in his new Kennel in the back... icon_biggrin.gif

He dont mind too much though, he just LOVES to GO....

icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

I have been giving serious consideration to Bringing Mr. Bouillon along myself.

Unfortunately he only has 2 speeds..

Sleeping and WIDE OPEN....

He is great with most other dogs though..

My only concern is weither or not I wanna have to deal with him the entire time..

He still is a bit confused as to why he is no longer allowed to jump up in the front seat of The Rock and ride in the First Class Section with the Leather Seats and the Climate Control AC... He is now banished to Roughing it the Coach section in his new Kennel in the back... icon_biggrin.gif

He dont mind too much though, he just LOVES to GO....

icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

I got your voice mail today. I was on the other phone and unable to get to my cell before you got the ole' voice-box. I am glad y'all can make it. Some other folks are coming in Friday night *as you can read above* and you are welcome to join them. Found your Micro's today. Lots-o-fun dude.

See you soon.

Well gang, all we can do is hope for the best. I might suggest bringing a large tarp if you have one if for non other reason than setting your tent up on. There maybe room to string up a make shift canopy. If anyone has access to one of those four or five post sun/rain tent shelters that would be awesome!!! If not, hey we are all adventurists. What is a little rain to us? Only reason I am worried is b/c of Lili out in the tropics. Hopefully she will blow herself out and will not be an issue. If that is the case, the last weather forecast I saw was very favorable.

Partly Cloudy highs 81/82 lows 59/60 Chance of rain @ 0%.

Sabaharr is bringing a LARGE three room tent and offered to let some folks bunk with him if you needed to. He said he would have room for about 4 more comfortably and offered to share. He will be there Friday night with Pyroman.

We've got a set of Motorola FR50 that we picked up at the K-Mart going out of business sale. They're pretty dinky, but we'll bring them just in case.

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

Okay - I am going to try and rent a 20'x 20' canopy tent as a precaution depending on weather outlook friday. Rain percentange is now averaging 35% for the weekend according to weather.com. I am going to play it by ear till Friday... If it looks bad, I will have the tent there. It will take a couple of us to set this thing up also. So whoever is there Friday - be ready. If you have any other form of outdoor shelter or you know of one we can borrow without me having to rent this one, please let me know ASAP. That would save a little money. I am looking at $60 bucks for the tent. That's a lot of batteries!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

Phil