Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
FelixRocks

Challenge cache logging requirements

Recommended Posts

I was told by a fellow cacher that at an event in Oregon they were told that effective 1-1-2020 For challenge caches you no longer have to find the cache & sign the log.  They were told that as long as you qualify for the challenge you can log a found it; even if you are in Oregon and the physical cache is in North Carolina.  Shouldn’t it be a write note & if you go to that State & find the cache & sign the log then you can log a found it?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, FelixRocks said:

I was told by a fellow cacher that at an event in Oregon they were told that effective 1-1-2020 For challenge caches you no longer have to find the cache & sign the log.  They were told that as long as you qualify for the challenge you can log a found it; even if you are in Oregon and the physical cache is in North Carolina.  Shouldn’t it be a write note & if you go to that State & find the cache & sign the log then you can log a found it?

 

From the Help Center article Challenge caches (emphasis added):

 

"Cachers may sign a challenge cache's physical log at any time. However, the challenge cache may be logged as found online only after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented."

 

It looks like this fellow cacher was mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, FelixRocks said:

I was told by a fellow cacher that at an event in Oregon they were told that effective 1-1-2020 For challenge caches you no longer have to find the cache & sign the log.  They were told that as long as you qualify for the challenge you can log a found it; even if you are in Oregon and the physical cache is in North Carolina.  Shouldn’t it be a write note & if you go to that State & find the cache & sign the log then you can log a found it?

 

The Help Centre as of this minute still says:

 

Quote

A challenge cache requires seekers to find an associated physical cache, and to find an additional set of geocaches as defined by the challenge owner.

 

so if that's true they're keeping quiet about it. If that were to occur, I'd be archiving my two challenges as they're as much of a challenge getting to the physical cache as they are qualifying (the qualifications and the physical cache follow the same theme).

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 I think your friend may be confused because of the change in the the verification part of logging of challenges published after April 21 2015 (?).

For those challenges, the finder no longer has to provide any verification that they qualify. It's the cache owner's job to use the checker.   Challenges published before that date can still require cache finders to list qualifications. Either way, the log must be signed.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think your friend is confused with events.

 

Quote

To post an "Attended" log on a geocaching event, you must have been at the coordinates of the event during the designated time period. But you’re not required to sign an event logbook.

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

For those challenges, the finder no longer has to provide any verification that they qualify. It's the cache owner's job to use the checker

 

Except now they can't if the finder has opted out of sharing their data with third party developers.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I knew what I was told could not be correct because then all cachers around the world could claim challenge caches anywhere in the world and never go to the actual cache.  I just wanted to verify I was thinking correctly. 

  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, FelixRocks said:

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I knew what I was told could not be correct because then all cachers around the world could claim challenge caches anywhere in the world and never go to the actual cache.  I just wanted to verify I was thinking correctly. 

 

Make sure to pass this back to the ill-informed cacher in question so they don't go bogus-logging caches all over the world. :laughing:

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...