Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IoreksDiscCachers

Report a missing cache

Recommended Posts

How do I report a missing cache? Or more precisely, this cache has not been found in a couple of years. It appears that it is on private property that no longer allows access. Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification. I have messaged the cache owner at least 3 times with no response. What is the next appropriate step? I don't want to venture into private property and get shot for trespassing so please don't suggest that. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Firstly put all of the above in a NM log then, if that doesn't get the CO's attention,  after 30 days log a NA which will alert a Reviewer to the situation. Then move on.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, IoreksDiscCachers said:

How do I report a missing cache? Or more precisely, this cache has not been found in a couple of years. It appears that it is on private property that no longer allows access. Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification. I have messaged the cache owner at least 3 times with no response. What is the next appropriate step? I don't want to venture into private property and get shot for trespassing so please don't suggest that. Thanks.

I too suggest a NM log.

By the way, I love your profile photo!

Share this post


Link to post

I forgot to qualify the NM/NA. If it already has a NM for the reasons you have given, and that NM was over 30 days ago, then just log a NA.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

If you haven't heard from the CO, and not gonna venture there yourself, you could simply email the Reviewer, and ask what they think.  :)

If "Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification" but didn't venture there either, or left a NM or NA themselves, I feel maybe that might be a good option.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, IoreksDiscCachers said:

How do I report a missing cache? Or more precisely, this cache has not been found in a couple of years. It appears that it is on private property that no longer allows access. Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification. I have messaged the cache owner at least 3 times with no response. What is the next appropriate step? I don't want to venture into private property and get shot for trespassing so please don't suggest that. Thanks.

Go to the cache that is missing scroll to the bottom and tap "Report the a problem with the cache" and choose either "needs  maintenance" or "needs archive". 

Edited by NightFall806
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Look at the profile-page of the owner and look when they were last login. If not this year, I'd put in a Nees archive or contact a local reviewer

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, jocke92 said:

Look at the profile-page of the owner and look when they were last login. If not this year, I'd put in a Nees archive or contact a local reviewer

 

That's incorrect.  A cacher could use a phone, and never enter the site their entire time with the hobby.    :)

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, cerberus1 said:

 

That's incorrect.  A cacher could use a phone, and never enter the site their entire time with the hobby.    :)

It thought the "Last activity" included logins to the APP too

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, jocke92 said:

It thought the "Last activity" included logins to the APP too

Nope. It's exactly as cerebus1 said. 

It's not a guarantee, but looking at the CO's last found logs would give a more accurate idea of whether they're still active.  If they don't log their finds then obviously that won't be accurate, either.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Nope. It's exactly as cerebus1 said. 

It's not a guarantee, but looking at the CO's last found logs would give a more accurate idea of whether they're still active.  If they don't log their finds then obviously that won't be accurate, either.

And some owners are behind on logging their finds, but keep up with their caches by reading email notifications.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/6/2019 at 1:42 PM, cerberus1 said:

If you haven't heard from the CO, and not gonna venture there yourself, you could simply email the Reviewer, and ask what they think.  :)

If "Several cachers have written notes asking for clarification" but didn't venture there either, or left a NM or NA themselves, I feel maybe that might be a good option. 

I disagree. The way to ask the reviewer if this cache should be archived is to step up and post a "Needs Archive" note so everyone sees what's going on. That's exactly what the NA log is for. Don't skulk around behind the scenes with a private message to the reviewer.

  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dprovan said:

I disagree. The way to ask the reviewer if this cache should be archived is to step up and post a "Needs Archive" note so everyone sees what's going on. That's exactly what the NA log is for. Don't skulk around behind the scenes with a private message to the reviewer.

 

Nothing sinister, and definitely nothing  cowardly about it at all...

It's possible there's a reason "several" others might not have placed NM or NA.  The OP hasn't returned to say if they did or not.

We've personally found that being direct isn't always the best move...

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

It's possible there's a reason "several" others might not have placed NM or NA.

This is precisely the problem. Others didn't post an NA, FOR WHATEVER REASON, and now you have to because someone has to ask the reviewer if it's time to archive this cache. If there's a good reason, then it should be documented in the cache description.

 

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

We've personally found that being direct isn't always the best move...

Obviously I don't know what you're talking about, but I find that people that think they've found a good reason to be indirect just cause more problems for others. In this context the example is people often complaing about COs being mean when someone posts an NA, but that's a problem with those COs that should be brought to light and addressed by posting NAs and complaining to GS when a CO is a jerk about it. Not filing NAs because of a fear of the CO's reaction just leads to more people later experiencing the same reactions because they have no way of knowing about the "special handling" this CO has trained everyone else to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Obviously I don't know what you're talking about...

 

IIRC, 1/3 or 2/3 of cerberus1 was subjected to harassment by the local caching community after logging some NAs, so I can understand them being gun-shy at this point.

 

Personally, I have no problem logging an NA when it's warranted. For several years, I was pretty much the only one doing it locally. Since then, others have followed my lead and now issues don't fester for very long before someone stands up and logs the necessary NA. Unfortunately, some caching communities are so toxic that this just isn't viable unless one wants to become an outcast. I feel sorry for those areas.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...