New Orleans help for a Nevada geocacher

Orange Hippo

I have a business meeting to attend in New Orleans during the second week of April. Would appreciate some tips as to caches to hunt in the area and also for restaurants to go to.

Many Thanks

Saito aka Orange Hippo

You're not pull startin' a dadgum lawnmower, squeeze the trigger!

Caches:

There's a bunch of virtuals and a webcam cache in the CBD and the French Quarter. If you go to the LA Map and zoom on New Orleans, you'll see them.

There's also about 5 or 6 traditional caches in the City Park Area. All pretty good, of course I'm biased (3 of them are mine icon_wink.gif )

A bunch have popped up recently along the lake in Metaire/Kenner. I haven't had a chance to go after those yet.

Food:

Any of the Brennan Family restaurants are good: Commander's Palace, The Redfish Grill, Mr. B's, The Palace Cafe, Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse. Also Emeril's, Delmonico's, Nola. You're on an expense account, right? icon_wink.gif

Oysters in the Quarter: Acme Oyster House.

Poboys: Johnnys, P&G's (in the CBD). Mother's is a tourist trap IMO.

Muffalata (sp?): Central Grocery on Decatur.

Seafood: Deanies, Sid-Mar's, R&O all in Bucktown (near the lake) and walking distance to the Indian Beach cache.

Adult beverages: Abita Amber (local micro brew), and of course a Hurricane from Pat O's.

Enjoy!

I wouldn't trust rpecot's opinions on New Orleans caches...he IS biased!

I'm only kidding! Seriously, though, I can vouch that his recommendations are right on target. Especially since you're there on business, the number of virtuals within walking distance makes for a good caching time, day or evening, without having to get muddy like we usually do feeding our addiction.

Come and enjoy!

-Dave R., just down the interstate in Biloxi, MS

(and if you have a car and a little extra time, the local So. Miss cachers have blanketed the Miss. Coast region with good caches as well!)

I do not know much about the New Orleans caches as I have yet to do them, BUT FOOD AND DRINK that is a different story.

all the restraunts listed are good ones but no trip to New Orleans would be complete if you passed up a trip to Ralph and Cacoos for some fried alligator tail and fresh made hushpuppies. As far as drinking goes.. If you try the Pat Obrien's Hurricane and find it a bit tame, you must take the short walk to the Tropical Isle for another New Orleans only drink, THE HANDS GERNADE. This one will surely blow you away.

quote:
Originally posted by CenlaCouple:

If you try the Pat Obrien's Hurricane and find it a bit tame, you must take the short walk to the Tropical Isle for another New Orleans only drink, THE HANDS GERNADE. This one will surely blow you away.

You can't mention a hand grenade without mentioning the Travel Bug, The Cell. icon_smile.gif

alex

I've always been partial to a Monsoon from the Port of Call on Esplanade. Fine burgers, and great drinks. Sometimes it's a bit crowded, but always well worth the wait.

And what about a beignet from Café du Monde? No trip to NOLA is complete for me without getting powdered sugar all over myself and everything I'm carrying.

Jamie

of New Orleans visit the Bon Ton Cafe. Very much near Mothers. While Mothers has great food the Bon Ton is closer to true New Orleans cusine.

Make sure to order the turtle soup appetizer with a little sherry added. It is awesome!!

Oh' yeah and Bon Ton won't break your wallet.

Even Emeril's has great food, but since he has become a TV personality his prices first doubled then tripled. I only eat there on someone else's nickel.

Have fun and keep us posted!

South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig