Garmin Etrex

We are quite nostalgic about still using a trusty Garmin Etrex for caching. The way we look at it, you don’t find any more caches with a fancy one, nor do you have any more fun.

The problem is, our 3rd Etrex is about to bite the dust and once again, we can’t find another one from a trusted source. Does anyone have one in the back of a dusty old cupboard which we could have/buy? We will of course, pay for postage too.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, thehoomer said:

We are quite nostalgic about still using a trusty Garmin Etrex for caching. The way we look at it, you don’t find any more caches with a fancy one, nor do you have any more fun.

The problem is, our 3rd Etrex is about to bite the dust and once again, we can’t find another one from a trusted source. Does anyone have one in the back of a dusty old cupboard which we could have/buy? We will of course, pay for postage too.

Thanks.

Have you considered an Etrex 10, 20, or 30 presuming your old one is an earlier model? They are plentiful new or used.

Hiya colleda.

Thanks very much. Yes, we had considered this but for reasons of posterity, we wanted to keep our caching trips as basic as they always have been and didn’t really want access to maps. We did manage to get an old Garmin a few years ago when we posted the very same plea on here, so, you never know.........It could be that we have to finally give in though! Thanks so much.

If you run out of ideas do take another look at the etrex 10 which doesn't have the map capability of the 20 and 30.

I loved my second hand grey and yellow garmins until they died but eventually bought a new etrex 10. It had all the things I liked about the previous versions plus it had a usb cable. I can load all the cache details quickly but only read what I want. The battery life is better too.

Hope you find what you want.

6 hours ago, searcherdog said:

If you run out of ideas do take another look at the etrex 10 which doesn't have the map capability of the 20 and 30.

I loved my second hand grey and yellow garmins until they died but eventually bought a new etrex 10. It had all the things I liked about the previous versions plus it had a usb cable. I can load all the cache details quickly but only read what I want. The battery life is better too.

Hope you find what you want.

I think the Etrex 10 is as basic as they come nowadays. I started out with one and still have it (as a backup) and Garmin have a neat little bracket that allows me to fit it on my MTB handlebar.