How Do I Put Waypoints in the Correct Order?

KonstantinMMRR

I have just created my first multi-cache. Everything seems to work fine, except that one of the waypoints is not listed in the proper order in the geocaching app. When I sign-in on the website to edit it, it is in the correct order. I cannot figure out how to put it in the proper order for the app. I have even gone to the point of erasing the waypoints and typing them in again. The problem may be with the "Lookup" number. There are five stages, and the fourth stage has no "lookup" number. I do not know how to add one. The fourth stage is always listed in the app after the final stage.

The cache I am referring to is GC84VHZ, B-36 Peacemaker

Thank you for your help.

It depends on which app the cacher is using.  See image below for comparison between what I'm seeing in Android vs iPhone, both at version 7.8.0.  The iPhone app shows Stages 2-4 in order, while the Android app has the Final between Stage 3 and Stage 4.  Not sure if there's a way to fix that.

The website shows the most logical order, with Stages 2-4 in order, followed by the Final.  Maybe sort logic is being applied different across platforms, as the website seems to be sorting the WP's (0184VHZ, 0284VHZ, 0384VHZ, FN84VHZ) in alphanumeric order. Not sure how the apps are sorting or displaying though.

image.png.3bbb8137d7234cb36a302eebf4dd3383.png

12 hours ago, KonstantinMMRR said:

That is strange. I would have thought it would look the same in both versions of the app. I suppose I should not worry if the waypoints are out of order, it just doesn't look nice. Thank you for posting the pictures from both versions of the app.

Shouldn't any platform list the "Final" waypoint last?  Regardless of sorting, it seems like a waypoint set as "Final" should be the last one listed.  As it is, it seems arbitrary in the Apps.

But on an ordinary handheld GPS, I see a long list of every waypoint I've loaded, displayed by waypoint number. My first challenge is associating any of them with a cache.  The next even bigger challenge is deciding on the numbering convention, and a cache with a lot of waypoints among other caches' waypoints sometimes requires me to chart them in my notebook.  To keep them all straight.

One thing missing in the screenshot lists above, are the waypoint numbers.  Due to likely hunting a cache with my handheld GPS (the App being only for reference) I could really use those numbers on that screen. Currently there's less clutter, sure.

Edited by kunarion
On 4/6/2019 at 10:11 AM, kunarion said:

Shouldn't any platform list the "Final" waypoint last?  Regardless of sorting, it seems like a waypoint set as "Final" should be the last one listed.  As it is, it seems arbitrary in the Apps.

The cache page on the website lists them in the logical order.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:11 AM, kunarion said:

But on an ordinary handheld GPS, I see a long list of every waypoint I've loaded, displayed by waypoint number. My first challenge is associating any of them with a cache.  The next even bigger challenge is deciding on the numbering convention, and a cache with a lot of waypoints among other caches' waypoints sometimes requires me to chart them in my notebook.  To keep them all straight.

One thing missing in the screenshot lists above, are the waypoint numbers.  Due to likely hunting a cache with my handheld GPS (the App being only for reference) I could really use those numbers on that screen. Currently there's less clutter, sure.

Not sure if you already know this, but the waypoint codes/names are like the GC Code of the associated cache - but with the "GC" prefix replaced with two digit codes. Like "PK" for parking waypoint, "FN" for final waypoint, "01" for the 1st stage after the posted coords, "02" for the 2nd stage after the posted coords, etc.  The same "Prefix" that is shown in the Additional Waypoints section of the cache page.

For the OP example, the WP's are name: 0184VHZ, 0284VHZ, 0384VHZ, FN84VHZ

While the cache code is:  GC84VHZ

So, if you're searching in your GPSr, then you could potentially use Spell Search to look for waypoints associated with a specific cache?  Or if you have the cache codes on the GPSr map screen, then you can notice which ones are relevant to your target cache.