Tracking Number vs Reference Number

Wrenchgear

I'm a little confused about the true difference between the Tracking Number and the Reference Number. 

I have a couple of TB's out there. The Tracking number is on the dog tag, and people need that number to log that they have found the Bug. My question is 'Whats the Reference Number for? If someone has the Reference number only, can they log that they have discovered the Bug?

This is the situation. One of my Bugs has become a vehicle Bug so it won't get muggled and go missing. This is on a camping trailer we have. My Son decided that for a present to me, he had a 1 foot square TB sign professionally printed up for me to hang at campsites. When people walk by and see the number, they will write it down, or come in for a chat or whatever. The problem is, he had the Reference number printed onto the sign, not the Tracking number. Can people still log that they discovered the Bug by using the Reference number only, or do they need to have the Tracking number? Is this sign garbage? 

1 hour ago, Wrenchgear said:

The problem is, he had the Reference number printed onto the sign, not the Tracking number. Can people still log that they discovered the Bug by using the Reference number only, or do they need to have the Tracking number? Is this sign garbage? 

Short answer is "no" - they will not be able to log a Discovered log with the Reference Number.  The Reference Number (TBxxxxx) allows the trackable's page to be shared and referenced without concern that the person will log it as though they've actually seen it.  For example, if you wanted to tell someone "look at my trackable page to see what my camper looks like".

Someone can log a Write Note with just the Reference Number, but cannot log a Discover/Grab/Retrieve action without the Tracking Number.

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, Wrenchgear said:

I'm a little confused about the true difference between the Tracking Number and the Reference Number. 

Maybe it's because it's a Tracking Code, and a Reference Number, and explained in the Help Center.    :)

The Reference number is simply to enable one to refer  to that trackable's page.

You can log a write note to any Trackable by simply accessing the page.

The Tracking Code enables the finder of a Trackable to post Retrieve, Visit, Drop, Grab, or Discover action logs, only after entering that code.

14 hours ago, Wrenchgear said:

This is the situation. One of my Bugs has become a vehicle Bug so it won't get muggled and go missing. This is on a camping trailer we have. My Son decided that for a present to me, he had a 1 foot square TB sign professionally printed up for me to hang at campsites. When people walk by and see the number, they will write it down, or come in for a chat or whatever. The problem is, he had the Reference number printed onto the sign, not the Tracking number. Can people still log that they discovered the Bug by using the Reference number only, or do they need to have the Tracking number? Is this sign garbage? 

Suggestion:  Put wording the TB page that people can write a note using the Reference Number and you will send them the Tracking Code so they can log Discover.  

Ok, thanks for all the responses, explanations, and suggestions. I talked with my son about it this morning before he took off to work. He figured the easiest thing to do would be to just start it all over again, and make a new sign. I said that we can still probably use this one, but he said he'd like to make a new one. So it turns out that it was made on a machine at his work, and he still has it all on his computer there. Apparently, it didn't really cost anything to make it, it was just a matter of a co-worker being able to fit it into his day. I said there's no rush, because camping season doesn't start in Ontario (for us fairweather campers) for another 5 months yet. He said there's no problem getting a new one made in that time. So I guess we will get a new one with the proper Tracking number that is on the tag, and we will scrap the old sign. Oh well.... Thanks again

• Upvote 1