Getting slow

MattandLaura

This is my 1st Spring geocaching so I do not know if a slowdown is normal this time of year. I do know that kids sports have fired back up and that cuts into my geocaching time a lot. Massachusetts had a few new caches posted yesterday, one of them mine. Poor little Rhode Island has not seen one in a month!

WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

Originally posted by MattandLaura:

is it my imagination or are new caches getting sparce lately? At least in the Portland area.

I would have to agree. The placement of caches has definately slowed down. I don't know about the ortland area but around here at least. But It doesn't help that slinger and myself are the only goecachers in the county....LOL

It also doesn't help when some people just hunt for the caches and don't place any. But that is just my opinion.

I have one to place in the Vancouver area by next weekend, but am a bit worried that we are starting to lose a lot to plunderes. Ryan and Crystal, lost both of their Burnt Bridge caches and I thought that they were very well hidden. that kind of attrition is hard to keep up with. We do need more cachers like fractal,explosis, Makaio, MattandLaura and the rest of the prolific bunch,to keep it going.

I have been thinking of maybe having a set lifespan for my caches, then when it is reached, move them. that might keep more caches going and minimize the chance they will be plundered, also, the impact on the site.

[This message was edited by 1pilot on May 14, 2002 at 01:05 PM.]

I hate hiding caches within the city limits because they usually don't last long. I'm surpised my St. Johns cache has lasted as long as it has. I'm considering replacing it with a large 5 gallon bucket buried in the ground. I'm not really planning anymore urban caches unless I find good places like Whipple Creek park.

I want to place a few more - maybe replace the Stormtrooper cache again, but time has been a rare commodity. I too, like to place them outside the city - because I like to hike so much. It just makes maintaining them harder to do. It's also rough when you have them plundered - which may be the case, I just learned this weekend, of my Sturgeon cache.

On the flip side - I feel like I'm having a harder and harder time keeping up with all the new caches that are out there. There seemed to me to be a huge proliferation sometime between January and April here in Portland. Always on the west side of town too. icon_wink.gif

I want to place a few more - maybe replace the Stormtrooper cache again, but time has been a rare commodity. I too, like to place them outside the city - because I like to hike so much. It just makes maintaining them harder to do. It's also rough when you have them plundered - which may be the case, I just learned this weekend, of my Sturgeon cache.

On the flip side - I feel like I'm having a harder and harder time keeping up with all the new caches that are out there. There seemed to me to be a huge proliferation sometime between January and April here in Portland. Always on the west side of town too. icon_wink.gif

quote:

is it my imagination or are new caches getting sparce lately? At least in the Portland area.

Okay MattandLaura, I've got your Saturday all planned out for you. I notice you haven't tried the Salem-area caches yet, so here's something to do until Portland wakes up from hibernation:

On your way to Salem, stop in Woodburn to do The Pan Dulce Babushka. I think it's my best cache. Then get back on the road and head to See any Beavers. It's pretty close to the freeway and a good cache. If you've done your homework, then Salem Park N'Ride isn't too far.

Then, you gotta check out Dead Governors. Some would say that one's creepy.

Then you should head down River Road for this three-fer: Two Ponds Beyond

Minto

Fossil

On your way back into town you can go miniature golfing at that place on Commercial.

Head back downtown and stop at the Arbor cafe. It's right next to the big Bank of America building so you can't miss it. Order enough sandwiches and lemonade for everybody then have a picnic at Park it in the Orchard. Be sure to hit Educated Brush and Holman Wayside before heading back over the bridge into Salem proper.

Make your way north to Keizer and get this two-fer:

Spong!

softballsillies visit spongs

From there, you might as well do Daniel Matheny V. By now you should also have enough info to do More Multi-Cache Mania, too.

Since it's Saturday, you should stop at the first waypoint for the Pan Dulce Babushka on your way back to Gresham. The tortilla-machine really starts cooking by 5 o'clock on the weekends, and you don't want to miss that!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:

You guys think I can get the majority of these done before 3pm

It's possible, but maybe you should cut out three or four caches just to be sure. and skip the mini golf. and do some google homework before you leave in the morning.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Actually, Oregones route is good...with a couple changes...once you head over the bridge to West Salem, head FIRST to Holman, then to Park it in the Orchard, then on to Educated brush, from there, you hit Thar it is, then Legend of Willy Green, then you hop on the Ferry to get the answers for Daniel V (btw, do some research on Hz, I had problems getting that answer) Upon the completion of Daniel V you will have all the info for Oregones Multicache mania. (if you payed attention at the previous caches.) From there, you head back up north.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

ok matt and laura...will finish up with two new caches this friday. They will be in wilsonville but it is a first time ever (that I know of) where the day time cache is a find and then from there you get some coordinates to go and start the nightime find. They will need to be done in conjunction with one another. I went with a guy from work today and got all the lat/lon readings for it.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh baby.....I am doing this one in honor of the after dark cache in vancouver.

I figured the washingtonians shouldnt have something cool like that and not us because after all they are washingtonians.

At least there not californians icon_smile.gif

Yes I am evil.

waynepdx

ok matt and laura...will finish up with two new caches this friday. They will be in wilsonville but it is a first time ever (that I know of) where the day time cache is a find and then from there you get some coordinates to go and start the nightime find. They will need to be done in conjunction with one another. I went with a guy from work today and got all the lat/lon readings for it.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh baby.....I am doing this one in honor of the after dark cache in vancouver.

I figured the washingtonians shouldnt have something cool like that and not us because after all they are washingtonians.

At least there not californians icon_smile.gif

Yes I am evil.

waynepdx

Okay matt and laura you asked for them and here they are.

They are not approved yet.

They are a daytime/nightime hybrid.

first one is placed by revrac23 called geocache..It is called geocache for now since he hasnt picked a name for it yet.

In there you will find the directions to the starting point for the nightime part called Nocturnal Ommisions.

Bring a flashlight for the nightime one and it can get muddy if it rains.

It is pretty dry right now.

Parking for the trailhead is at 45.20.425 122.45.971.

The daytime cache coordinates are 45.20.688 122.45.963 .elevation 452 feet. Cache is location at base of a tree.

Happy hunting.

ps. I am going to place another nightime one in about two hours so I will post the coordinates for that one in another post to here later on.

Well, I went out today to hide my first cache. Found a great place, but I think it was bigfoots bedroom. Found a lazy boy chair, mattress, and a 6 inch deep pile of hair. The hair kinda freaked me out. Kinda looked like the local garbage dump. What a shame. Beautiful view. But whatever lost that hair probably isnt in a good mood. I really dont want to see a bald bigfoot. So, I will keep looking for a good spot.