alternate TB route

Jayeffel

I recently retrieved a trackable  which is a dog tag with a BSA Council patch attached. It was dropped in the first cache by a Boy Scout working on his Geocaching merit badge I believe, this was a while ago. I have a brother in Florida and a nephew in Washington who are both heavy active in BSA.

MY question is would it be acceptable for me to mail this to my brother and then he mail it to his son in Washington? I know it would have to be dropped by me somehow, retrieved and dropped  by my brother, there retrieved and dropped into a cache in Washington by my nephew. Otherwise I think the travel history and loging would get messed up terribly.

I have not done that yet, just wondering if that could be done - without compromising anything connected with Geocaching. I looked briefly ate the TB goal, "would be nice if it made it's a way to Vermont", my guess is it started there.

6 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

I looked briefly ate the TB goal, "would be nice if it made it's a way to Vermont", my guess is it started there.

Any time ever that one of my TBs got a log about "I'm gonna do [thing instead of placing it in a cache to travel in a timely manner] because I saw the Mission, and it's gonna be GREAT, gonna be GREAT", it has been the death of that TB.  Make absolutely 110% certain that the TB stays alive (placed into a safe cache for travel), and start the postal plan only after approval by the TO.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

I just a message to the owner, first things first! 

...it's gonna be GREAT. :)

I'm hardly ever asked in advance, but I often don't say anything against someone's non-standard plan that gets my TB lost. Because that's what they're gonna do anyway. They get it lost.

I secretly wish they'd read my TB page and stick to the plan, “Place it into a cache and log the drop”. But that's not exciting for them.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

I recently retrieved a trackable  which is a dog tag with a BSA Council patch attached. It was dropped in the first cache by a Boy Scout working on his Geocaching merit badge I believe, this was a while ago. I have a brother in Florida and a nephew in Washington who are both heavy active in BSA.

MY question is would it be acceptable for me to mail this to my brother and then he mail it to his son in Washington? I know it would have to be dropped by me somehow, retrieved and dropped  by my brother, there retrieved and dropped into a cache in Washington by my nephew. Otherwise I think the travel history and loging would get messed up terribly.

I have not done that yet, just wondering if that could be done - without compromising anything connected with Geocaching. I looked briefly ate the TB goal, "would be nice if it made it's a way to Vermont", my guess is it started there.

Are your relatives cachers ? 

When the trackable's goal is " It would be cool if this traceable made its way to Vermont",  curious how Washington is on the way...

By the trackable's logs, it started in Pennsylvania, then held hostage Retrieved and "Visited" back n forth for seven months between states further North (made it to NY...), but then brought back to Maryland by the first person to find it .

Agree with others, good idea to contact the Owner first, since Vermont's probably gonna be a while...   :)

• Helpful 1
54 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Are your relatives cachers ? 

Yep, both are cachers, that's why I though of it.. One has a few hundred more than me, the other a bit less than me. It would then be going to Vermont the great circle route - its own that is, surprising the routes some TBs take.  I contacted the owner , waiting for any response. I may not do this,  just thinking how it could be done and still fit into geocaching protocol- if possible.

The first part could be done possibly in December when I'll see my brother at a sister's graduation celebration- but would have to find a suitable cache for me to drop it in, and him retrieve it.

The second part would be a bit more tricky since they don't see each other face to face very often.