Signing log with ultraviolet marker

dubidubno

On 8/25/2018 at 10:30 PM, Mudfrog said:

My reason for deletion wouldn't be because I thought a person was necessarily lying. My beef would be that someone came along and did something this goofy in the first place. A person should not have to buy and then carry a UV light with them to see signatures in a logbook. :rolleyes:

It certainly doesn't matter to me what you do, but I have to suggest that you might enjoy life more if you just went along with the joke instead of taking it as an affront. It doesn't make sense to me to add my own outrage to whatever other waste was involved with the unfunny joke. And that's not even thinking about the bother if the logger appeals, whether the appeal is successful or not.

But that's just me.

When I check a log I photograph it. Any signatures that I can't find I send a polite message to the cacher and ask them to please point out their signature. Often I don't get a reply, so I delete. I give a couple of weeks though at least for them to get back to me. Once only was the signature there, but I failed to recognise the faint scribble. Pointed out to me I could see it, so I thanked them for getting back to me and left that log. I will also accept photographs, in case someone lost their pen or the like. No visible signature or other proof they visited I delete. So as I can't see invisible ink, it's their word against what I can't see, so I would delete.

4 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

So as I can't see invisible ink, it's their word against what I can't see, so I would delete.

<TongueInCheek> Seems a bit churlish given that there's no hard and fast rule on HOW one should sign the logbook. I mean, If I press my thumb on the logbook I'll leave my DNA behind and that's about as unique a signature as you're ever going to get - but because you can't see it you're going to delete my log? As far as I'm concerned, I left my signature. Reading it is your job.</TongueInCheek>

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

Great log.

I think the days of getting a decent log are mostly long gone - which is a great incentive, for me at least, to not place any more caches. Simply not worth the time and effort.

Most of the logs I get are still the multi-paragraph ones, sometimes accompanied by some narrative in the physical logbook too, although my hides are all the antithesis of a P&G and most have the takes more than 1 hour attribute. This one stood out enough for me to go and visit the cache the next day to make sure it was legit.

3 hours ago, Team Microdot said:

Great log.

I think the days of getting a decent log are mostly long gone - which is a great incentive, for me at least, to not place any more caches. Simply not worth the time and effort.

Unfortunately, I have the same attitude. First off,  we're required to place an easy to find, low difficulty park and grab type cache if we want our cache to get noticed and found. Then if it does get found, we get tftc short logs.  

3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Most of the logs I get are still the multi-paragraph ones, sometimes accompanied by some narrative in the physical logbook too, although my hides are all the antithesis of a P&G and most have the takes more than 1 hour attribute. This one stood out enough for me to go and visit the cache the next day to make sure it was legit.

I wish that was the case for our area. We get very few logs of any type coming in these days on owned and watch listed caches. Of the few logs that do come in, most consist of a couple of words or if we're lucky, maybe a short sentence. Phone users have neither the time or willingness to tap out much on their little screens and as we can see, sometimes opt to use emojis instead.