Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PISA-caching

Waymarking in Scotland

We're planning to visit Scotland in September. It will be a guided roundtrip by bus that will include Edinburgh, Glasgow, Loch Ness, Isle of Skye and so on. Of course I want to make sure that I come home with new waymarks and visits in some categories that I can't find in my own country. So far I found:

• English Heritage - Cadw - Historic Scotland
  • UK Post Offices
  • UK Historical Markers
  • U.K. and Ireland Trigpoints
  • Victorian Post Boxes

I'm sure that some of you have more ideas, so please help me not to miss one of these rare categories. Thanks in advance.

And don't forget the categories that are global, but rare in your area! Lighthouses is just one example.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, elyob said:

I suspect all of Scotland is west of the Greenwich meridian.

yes, it is. OK then,  how about "In Search of the Celts", Blue Plaques, get the Diplomatic Mission from your home country, Fish & Chips restaurants, pictorial pub signs, National  Trust UK, pictorial village signs, red telephone boxes, thatch cottages.

and don't forget "Inside Airports" as you fly there and back.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Good GAWD! Don't forget those red telephone boxes. We got one just last week after years of searching...:rolleyes:

And National Trust U.K. - then there's Anglican (Church of England) Churches - you probably don't have Anglican churches in Austria.

How about William Shakespeare, the bard of Avon?

Along the train of thought of Lighthouses, how about Maritime Monuments and Memorials?

Runestones Worldwide - I doubt there are any in Austria.

Monarchs of the World - one thing England has in spades.

Boer Wars Memorials and Monuments - an English skirmish, maybe the Scots got involved, too.

War of 1812 - a search shows that there are no WMs in Austria.

Blue Plaques - do you have an equivalent to these?

Pictorial Pub Signs - common as dirt in the UK

Canal Tunnels - this is a possibility - none in Austria yet

Dunno if there are any Martello Towers in Scotland

Nautical Flag Poles - none in Austria yet

And finally (for the moment) Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts - none in Austria yet

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

greenwich meridian  marker?

I think just a few of the northern islands of Scotland touch the Greenwich meridian, but we won't visit those islands I'm afraid. Thanks for the idea though.

14 minutes ago, fi67 said:

And don't forget the categories that are global, but rare in your area! Lighthouses is just one example.

Yes, I will put lighthouses on my list. And also Quaker Meeting Houses, Odd Fellow Lodges, Legion Posts and Branches, and the search goes on.

4 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

yes, it is. OK then,  how about "In Search of the Celts", Blue Plaques, get the Diplomatic Mission from your home country, Fish & Chips restaurants, pictorial pub signs, National  Trust UK, pictorial village signs, red telephone boxes, thatch cottages.

and don't forget "Inside Airports" as you fly there and back.

"In Search of the Celts" is a great idea! There's just one of these in Inverness and Inverness is on the route. So, one find and maybe opportunities to post new waymarks.

"Fish and Chips Restaurants" is similar. Not many of them in Scotland, so good chances to visit one and hopefully find a new one.

"Pictorial Village Signs" are always a problem, because the bus will not stop there.

"Thatch Cottages" will be tough. Just one in Scotland in an area that is not on the route, but maybe there is one to discover.

"Pictorial Pub Signs" and "National Trust U.K." will also be on our list.

I have posted and visited "Blue Plaques", "Diplomatic Missions" and "Red Telephone Boxes" already, but will keep an eye on those also.

Thanks for the many ideas. Really helpful.

5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Good GAWD! Don't forget those red telephone boxes. We got one just last week after years of searching...:rolleyes:

And National Trust U.K. - then there's Anglican (Church of England) Churches - you probably don't have Anglican churches in Austria.

How about William Shakespeare, the bard of Avon?

Along the train of thought of Lighthouses, how about Maritime Monuments and Memorials?

Runestones Worldwide - I doubt there are any in Austria.

Monarchs of the World - one thing England has in spades.

Boer Wars Memorials and Monuments - an English skirmish, maybe the Scots got involved, too.

War of 1812 - a search shows that there are no WMs in Austria.

Blue Plaques - do you have an equivalent to these?

Pictorial Pub Signs - common as dirt in the UK

Canal Tunnels - this is a possibility - none in Austria yet

Dunno if there are any Martello Towers in Scotland

Nautical Flag Poles - none in Austria yet

And finally (for the moment) Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts - none in Austria yet

Keith

Fortunately, we found a red telephone box about a year ago in a small Austrian village and visited one we have here in Vienna.

OMG, "Anglican and Episcopal Churches"!!! I never searched for one in Vienna, but now I did and there IS one: http://www.ccv-web.org/ Have to grab my camera and create that waymark, but I also need visits (I hardly visit my own waymarks), so I will put that on the list for visits.
"William Shakespeare" is a good idea. I found two spots in Vienna, that might qualify for that category, but I also need visits and it seems there is no Shakespeare waymark in Scotland to visit. :-(

"Maritime Monuments and Memorials" is also a great idea. I have visits, but need to post one hope to find one in Scotland. AND, this reminded me of "Maritime Museums" and I found one in Edinburgh that has no waymark yet.

"Runestones Worldwide": I posted two in Sweden. So, I just need a visit, but there are no runestone waymarks in Scotland so far. :-(

"Boer Wars Memorials and Monuments" I have neither posted nor visited yet. Will be tough to find in Scotland, but I will keep my eyes open. Same with "War of 1812".

"Canal Tunnels": I guess we have them in Austria too, but nobody made a waymark yet. Have to add that to my list of "first-to-post-in-Austria" and will also try to find one in Scotland.

According to Wikipedia there are three Mortello Towers in Scotland, but I doubt that we will see them.

"Nautical Flag Poles" will definitely be on our list.

"Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts": Similar to Canal Tunnels - we have them, but nobody ever made a waymark for one. Will also be on the list.

Thank you so much for the many great ideas. This helps a lot and considering that we will have only limited spare time outside the bus and keeping in mind that my Lady also wants to search some geocaches on the way, it will be stressful to cover as many waymark categories (with new waymarks AND visits) as possible, but the longer the list is, the longer the list of covered categories will be at the end. And I still have more than one month to prepare for this tour.

21 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

And also Quaker Meeting Houses, Odd Fellow Lodges, Legion Posts and Branches...

You don't have a Masonic Temple yet, either.

I have a suspicion that Thatch Cottages may be more plentiful than you realize. I remember seeing contemporary pics of them in the U.K. Here, just think of houses, not cottages. The problem here is that if you spot one it will inevitably be along the highway in the country and you'll whiz past it.

You still need a Presbyterian Church. Presbyterianism has its origins in Scotland, if I recall kerektly.

Dunno how meat markets work in Vienna - been decades since I was there - but you don't have a Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe yet, either. From what friends tell me, these should be findable in Scotland.

... ... still thinking... ...

Hint - don't order pizza in Scotland. A few years ago a friend who was visiting (and I don't remember which city he was in) got hungry one evening and ambled down to a local diner to see what he could get to eat. He decided on a pizza, whereupon the proprietor opened the freezer, dug out a pizza and threw it in the deep fryer...

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

3 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

You don't have a Masonic Temple yet, either.

I have a suspicion that Thatch Cottages may be more plentiful than you realize. I remember seeing contemporary pics of them in the U.K. Here, just think of houses, not cottages. The problem here is that if you spot one it will inevitably be along the highway in the country and you'll whiz past it.

You still need a Presbyterian Church. Presbyterianism has its origins in Scotland, if I recall kerektly.

Dunno how meat markets work in Vienna - been decades since I was there - but you don't have a Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe yet, either. From what friends tell me, these should be findable in Scotland.

... ... still thinking... ...

Hint - don't order pizza in Scotland. A few years ago a friend who was visiting (and I don't remember which city he was in) got hungry one evening and ambled down to a local diner to see what he could get to eat. He decided on a pizza, whereupon the proprietor opened the freezer, dug out a pizza and threw it in the deep fryer...

Keith

The list is increasing, but yesterday I posted a waymark for the Shakespeare category, which would be the first in Austria. And that anglican church in Vienna is next on my to-do-list.

I have a visit of a Masonic Temple in Vienna, so I just need to post a new one, which will be tough as I see lots of them already in Scotland. But I will still put it on the list. Presbyterian Churches I have neither posted nor visited. At least a visit should be easy to do.

About the butcher Shops: They are slowly dying here. People buy cheaper meat at the supermarket. Therefore the butchers close one after the other, but there are a few left. It's just that I didn't pay much attention to these "commericial" categories.

I hope that not all people in scotland make pizza like that, but usually I prefer local dishes (and drinks) anyway. I tried fish & chips a few times and it will never be my favourite dish, but I will rather order that (taking for granted that they do it well) than to order an Austrian dish like Wiener Schnitzel, because chances are high that it will be not as good as the original and for me tasting foreign dishes belongs to the vacations, just like different landscapes, different sounds, different smells etc.

When we made a roundtrip through Scandinavia, we arrived at the first hotel late at night and we were looking forward to get some scandinavian Food (fish or mussels or moose meat or whatever). Instead they served some chicken with Italian pasta. Very disappointing!

Edited by PISA-caching

18 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I hope that not all people in scotland make pizza like that, but usually I prefer local dishes (and drinks) anyway.

As for the local dishes - ever wonder why you never see Scottish Restaurants? :huh:

Keith

16 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

As for the local dishes - ever wonder why you never see Scottish Restaurants? :huh:

Keith

No, but after having enough local drinks the local dishes taste just great... maybe. :-)

On 8/13/2018 at 12:23 PM, PISA-caching said:

No, but after having enough local drinks the local dishes taste just great... maybe. :-)

That's the attitude - lots of local beer will improve even Haggis.

Keith