New geocache series/multi/waypoint?

icydee

Hi
I am building three new caches, all physical each will have it's own description and published location.

Two of the caches will also contain a two digit number.

Combine the two sets of two digit numbers and you get a four digit number which unlocks a combination padlock on the third physical cache giving you access to the puzzle.

I am not sure what type of cache to set up, a single cache with waypoints or a multi-cache.

I have tried setting up each on geocaching.com but they have their limitations.

I think what I need to do is to create three separate entries on geocaching.com but in the description explain how they are linked and the order they should be solved.

Any other suggestions on the best way to do this?

You have two choices :

A multi with the first cache with the digit number the published coordinates, the second one with the digit a visible waypoint and the final with the padlock as a hidden waypoint.

or

2 traditionnal with each the digit numbers and the final with the padlock is a mystery and in the description you write to find the other two.

The advantage of the first choice is that each waypoint of the multi can be closer of 161m / .1 mile

The advantage of the second one is people can find 3 caches instead of one.

3 minutes ago, K13 said:

I'd go with a multi, instead of three different caches.  You are creating a what amounts to a daisy chain of caches, where if one goes missing, then the last one can't be found.

If one of the 2 steps of the multi is missing you can't find the final either.

Whatever it is, if a stage or cache goes missing folks are sunk.  Can't even finish one cache if a multi.   ;)

We've done both and see no difference other than "those extra smileys".  

Most said (in part of the description) what folks are looking for, and pretty straightforward.

Noticed you haven't done either, so maybe experiencing both will give you an idea which you'd like to present.   :)

Thanks for the suggestions, and taking them into consideration...

My preference would be for three caches, each of which can be done in isolation and each interesting enough to warrant a cache.

The clues given by the first two caches are only minor in comparison to what has to be solved at the third. I will probably make it so that the third can be unlocked even if one or other of the first two are not found, e.g. by also putting the combination into the cache hint and this gives people a choice.

This also means that I can publish the first two caches and put them live before I publish the third (which still requires some work).