Wrong impression?

gbal

Recently I reached Geocaching and I found it very interesting. So I tried to find something around my location and I found three objects. This is very pleasant for me.

Now I sent some message to users to signal something or to have some info. I did this both directly with users and posting my requests on the Italian forum.

I am surprising by the lack of answers! I am used on other forums to have kind and fast answers but on Geocaching it seems to me that something doesn't work fine.

Maybe that Basic members are seen with suspect by the Premium members? I understand that Premium member has more chances and more rights and maybe I will become a Premium user but I before want to experience a lot the site.

Is this a my wrong impression? :unsure:

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, gbal said:

Recently I reached Geocaching and I found it very interesting. So I tried to find something around my location and I found three objects. This is very pleasant for me.

Now I sent some message to users to signal something or to have some info. I did this both directly with users and posting my requests on the Italian forum.

I am surprising by the lack of answers! I am used on other forums to have kind and fast answers but on Geocaching it seems to me that something doesn't work fine.

Maybe that Basic members are seen with suspect by the Premium members? I understand that Premium member has more chances and more rights and maybe I will become a Premium user but I before want to experience a lot the site.

I see only two posts by you to the Forum.  The one above, and one where you replied about a post I made and you expanded on it (thanks! :D).

If by posts "directly with users", you mean that you used either the "Send Message" or "Send e-mail" in a member's Profile, neither option is to be considered direct communication.  "Send email", except in the case where you sent it to a published email address, is an "email" processed by the site, with a "No-Reply" Geocaching.com return address, and no "bounce back" if the email fails to arrive.  Many members' "email" is not working in various ways, and they don't know or don't care how to fix it.  The Message Center would then require a member to go to the Message Center to see if there's a new message. And many caches are orphans, where the inactive members who placed the caches aren't checking messages at all.  Regardless, it's likely not gonna be an immediate reply, whether the sender is a Basic or Premium member. 

The good news is, if you have a question, you can ask here and someone will eventually get around to answering it B).  Or go to local Events and ask in person.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gbal said:

Messaging, unless I've talked to someone before (events, met on trail,  or forums) I probably wouldn't respond either.

- Received enough spam that I don't even click on it anymore if the names aren't recognized.

Realize that on some of those "discussions by country" forums, it could be some time before a response.   Mine sometimes gets a person in only twice a month.

-  I believe it's simply because of faceboook, which is so much more popular.    :)

• Surprised 1

Of the 3 caches you found, two seem to be placed by a pair that cache/hide together. The 3rd cache is placed by someone that appears not to be active for the last year so you shouldn't expect a response from that cache owner. 

My family was in Italy in March and we had a fantastic time finding some terrific caches throughout the country. We didn't have an opportunity to meet any local caches and didn't run into anyone at a cache, but we still had a great time. 

• Funny 1
On 18/6/2018 at 9:05 PM, Team DEMP said:

Of the 3 caches you found, two seem to be placed by a pair that cache/hide together. The 3rd cache is placed by someone that appears not to be active for the last year so you shouldn't expect a response from that cache owner. 

My family was in Italy in March and we had a fantastic time finding some terrific caches throughout the country. We didn't have an opportunity to meet any local caches and didn't run into anyone at a cache, but we still had a great time. 

Wow, come back to Italy again; I am sure you will be more lucky with caches :D

On 6/18/2018 at 3:05 PM, Team DEMP said:

The first time I geocached in Italy (Rome) I ran into a couple of geocachers while searching for one cache.  However, they were not local either, but from Germany.  Access to the cache was blocked at the time so we just exchanged a couple of TBs, chatted a bit, and went on our separate ways.  We both logged DNFs on the cache but I found it during a subsequent trip.