Unable to add Geocaches to etrex touch 25

ervink

I'm new to this, just got an etrex touch 25 and trying to add some geocaches in the area i will be camping Easter weekend. Ive got my etrex plugged into my PC, Garmin express is open and showing i'm connected. I go to the garmin.com/geocaching website, enter the location, view the map and there are a lot of hidden targets in the area. I click on one, click on Add to GPS, and it says Garmin communicator plugin not found, I've downloaded it and ran it 5 times, it says installation complete, but I still get Garmin communicator not found, and my etrex does not show up on the geocache pop up

What am i doing wrong?

gps.jpg

Edited by ervink

Web browsers are dropping support for Garmin Communicator.

On a cache page, Premium Members can click the “GPX File” button. Save the file in the /Garmim/GPX folder of a Garmin GPS receiver. This provides the cache info and coords that the Communicator sent, plus you have more control over the files. You'll place unzipped Pocket Queries in a similar way, and they're a better solution for most cachers than loading one cache at a time.

If you'd prefer a lot of extra work keeping Garmin Communicator functioning, get familiar with how to do that, and remember that it tends to require research and adjusting technical settings on the computer and special downloads, that you may get it working today and not tomorrow, that it may work for now in another browser, that it's fine for some people, or that you'll just plain need to keep fixing it at times. Or that you may never get it working: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334207&view=findpost&p=5538114

If you keep your computer updated with the latest security updates, and the newest browser updates, Garmin Communicator (“Send To My GPS”) won't work. Garmin Communicator uses protocols that are considered security risks. Modern web browsers have begun to stop running such plugins. “Send To My GPS” is available, for now, to those who can still keep it working.

A Basic Member may find a helper program to load some data through the “API”. Or you can download the LOC version of the file from the cache page (and you may have to convert it). For a cache or two, enter coordinates manually and bring a print-out (or screen-shot) of the cache page.

A paying member can use Pocket Queries to send hundreds of caches at once without a plugin. Or they can use lists, and run Garmin Express which allows them to use a new feature called “Send To Garmin”.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, HHL said:

Because it still works:

9599479afa17b1ad203c87aabe0d5fb9.png

Hans

This is the Getting Started forum. It's fine to say that there's still a way to make the Garmin Communicator work, but you should provide more detail and guidance so people will know how to make it work. A link to a previous post would be sufficient.

For anyone who reads this, HHL is using what's called the "ESR" (Extended Support Release) version of the Firefox browser. This is an older - but still-supported - version of Firefox that is able to run the Garmin Communicator plugin. However, the current ESR branch will end on May 8. Once the browser is updated after this date, the plugin will no longer work. It's up to you whether you want to use Firefox ESR for the next month and a half, or just start using the alternate methods described by kunarion above.

I can't wait until May 8, at which point HQ will have no excuse for not removing this feature or at the very least adding a warning.

• Upvote 1