find by name, not cache number

Jayeffel

6 hours ago, jellis said:

Sometimes I get lucky by doing a google search for the cache name by adding Geocache after the name.

If you're looking for a cache with a specific name with a Google search the best way to do that is to explicitly tell it to search the geocaching com site.  For example:

Mingo  site:geocaching.com

The key to the Geocaching search page is to understand that the search box is used to specific the region in which to search, or to set a center point for a proximity based search (e.g 30 miles around a specific point).  It will recognize lat/long coordinates or "home" (specifying ones home location) for a proximity based search,  Entering a GC code will give the option of doing a proximity search around the lat/long coordinates of a specific cache or going directly to that cache listing. Anything else, and it will suggest either a region, or a place name (which is geocoded to a set of lat/long coordinates) for a proximity search.  The basically sets that area  in which to conduct the search. The filters, then can be use to limit those results based on other criteria (such as that it includes a word in the cache title).  Once results are displayed one can then sort the results based on proximity to ones home location, placed date,  

52 minutes ago, HHL said:

The key to the Geocaching search page is to understand that you can instantly hit the "Filters" button to do a locationless search. ;-)
Result: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&kw=mingo

Hans

I didn't mention that, but that's what I've seen called a "null search".  In this case, a search without entering anything into the search box sets the search area to the entire globe.  That's the way a couple of sites I've developed work.  Rather have a null search return nothing, it returns everything (or at least, the first "page" of everything).  For example, I've developed a digital repository that contains over a half million resear articles.  Clicking on the search button without entering anything in the search box will return the first 20 results of almost 600 thousand articles.  

For a keyword search, one of the ways that many sites implement is using "field" searching.   For example, entering title:Mingo would only return results with "Mingo" in the title field.  Although the GS site has a filter which allows one to see results with a specific word anywhere in the cache name (title), other search engines can use regular expressions to get more specific.  For example, title:Mingo would only return a results with Mingo as an exact match.  title:*Mingo* would return results with Mingo anywhere in the title, title:^Mingo* would return results which start with the word "Mingo".  Any field that is indexed can be chosen as a field.  For example, type:traditional  difficulty:5 terrain:5 would return traditional caches with a 5/5/ DT rating.