Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Bon Echo

How many categories?

9 posts in this topic

If you look on the main page, it says:

Waymarking Site Statistics

Presently there are 781944 waymarks worldwide, listed in 1112 user-created categories.

Updated 12/26/2017 10:26:19 AM (Pacific)

And if you go to the categories page, it also says:

Presently there are 1112 user-created waymark categories in the directory.

Yet if you go to my profile and view the category grid, it says:

Grid Count: 342 of 1110

And sure enough, I count 1110 squares (with icons or in blue-purple if I have yet to find or post one in that category). The last square being for Bicycle Repair Stations (which is inline with the Newest Categories page).

So where are the 2 missing categories?

Edited by Bon Echo
formatting

I can account for one missing square.  We don't get credit for the Seattle Art and Seek category.

Maybe the "Former Brothels" that passed Peer Review, but haven't been added to the grid yet?

The two missing categories are: 

Yard Art Silhouettes 

Seattle Art and Seek

I came across this issue some years ago. There must be an old discussion at the forum about it.

6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Maybe the "Former Brothels" that passed Peer Review, but haven't been added to the grid yet?

Former Brothels DID NOT pass peer review. :(

what is with Yard Art? It's a category, but you  can't post in it?? Why is it there?

It looks like Culture -> Yard Art Silhouettes is set as a category "group" or "folder" or "directory" or whatever you want to call it -- not a "leaf" category that can be posted into, just as Animals or Buildings -> Architectural are not leaves.  The description says that you must first select a subcategory, of which there are none; so it is a dead end.

Whether this was intentional (someone was planning to make subcategories, such as Animals, Cowboys/girls, Gardening Posteriors?) or accidental, one cannot tell by just looking at it.  Depending on how it's implemented, it could be a simple "flag" in the category that could be switched to indicate that it is a leaf category that can be posted into, or if not a flag or something simple, it would have to be tossed out and re-created in the database as such.

Interesting mystery.