[BUG] Messaging changing GC#'s around and linking to wrong pages

CacheSleuth

I created a list of Geocache's that included their names and GC#'s in a text file. I then wanted to share that with a friend so I copied and pasted it into the Geocaching Messaging app on my computer and hit send. The messaging app took the GC#'s and converted them to hyper-links, which is expected. What was unexpected was that it actually took the GC#'s and rotated them all around and placed them on different spots where other GC#'s were. The hyper-links themselves also did not actually link to the GC# listed. It is like the list got jumbled between reading the GC#'s and creating/replacing hyper-links on them. 

I am on Windows 7. I have tested it using both Chrome Browser (v62.0.3202.94) and Opera Browser (v49.0.2725.47).

gc messaging text list.png

gc messaging error.png

Worse still the same thing seems to be happening with an email, not easy to prove exactly what is or not happening. It is not a very good idea to try and play god with a textual email. If this is indeed being converted to links behind the scenes please stop. My content belongs to me I believe.

Edited by lodgebarn

Wow, this is appalling.

I just sent a test message to myself from my wife's account, this is the message I typed in:

test

GC5FYKY

GC7EPDD

GC7C7F7

done

This is how the message looked when it was delivered:

test

GC5FYKY

GC7C7F7

GC7C7F7

done

The first GC code is now a link to coord.info/GC5FYKY

Both of the subseqent GC codes are links to coord.info/GC7EPDD :o

I really think you need to fix this, but don't fix it by making the links go to the correct coord.info address, fix it by NOT messing about with the text we enter into the messages.

51 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

I really think you need to fix this, but don't fix it by making the links go to the correct coord.info address, fix it by NOT messing about with the text we enter into the messages.

Many times I am forced to use tinyurl or something similar to decode url for MC. Without this preparation the url does not work because system trie to modify it.

For example a link to http://gade.me.pn/?input=1311&formula=60 cr.dgt 24 hu.jwl is rendered to two separate links

http://gade.me.pn/?input=1311& and formula=60%20cr.dgt%2024%20hu.jwl

The problem seems to relate to dots. Anything with dots converts to link.