A cache owner that did the right thing

L0ne.R

A decent example of cache ownership.

This cache owner, unable to visit their cache did the right thing.   Read from bottom up. :

----------------------

prem_user.gif CACHE OWNER

Archive Archive
07/08/2017

Thank you [last finder]

^^^

prem_user.gifPremium Member

Found it Found it
07/08/2017

Caroline helped on which side to search, Henry not so much. Bless her soul. Lid is missing. Checked the logs, saw the CO's recommendation, so the cache has now been decommissioned, the contents distributed to a nearby cache. I think it's a first for me to claim LTF status. :)

^^^

prem_user.gif CACHE OWNER

Write note Write note
06/29/2017

Can the next cacher please have a look around for the lid. If you don't find it please remove the container and I'll archive the cache. Much appreciated.

^^^

prem_user.gifPremium Member

Found it Found it
06/28/2017

Contained is missing cover. Tftc

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Using the phrase "the right thing" is debatable.  Many might consider actual Owner Maintenance to be "the right thing" before depending on others to do so and, when it can't be done, just giving up and archiving.

Nah...I'm not really that impressed with this way of handling it.

In both examples, the CO states they can no longer maintain the geocache is the reason they archived the listings.

5 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

In both examples, the CO states they can no longer maintain the geocache is the reason they archived the listings.

Someone who cannot maintain a cache should archive it before it comes down to an issue of maintenance.  If I ever move to a different state, my plan would be to archive or adopt out all of my existing caches before I leave.  To me, THAT is "the right thing".  I wouldn't let them all just sit there, slowly degrading until people start posting NMs and then coming into the forums asking for advice on what to do about "that neglected cache".  

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Using the phrase "the right thing" is debatable.  Many might consider actual Owner Maintenance to be "the right thing" before depending on others to do so and, when it can't be done, just giving up and archiving.

Nah...I'm not really that impressed with this way of handling it.

It's the best ownership I've seen in a long time. Mostly cache owners ignore their broken caches (even local cache owners). This one at least was watching and maintaining their caches, asked for it to be removed, and promptly archived it once proof was provided that it was gone. Credit goes to the last finder too for removing the broken cache and providing feedback.

22 minutes ago, J Grouchy said:

Someone who cannot maintain a cache should archive it before it comes down to an issue of maintenance.  If I ever move to a different state, my plan would be to archive or adopt out all of my existing caches before I leave.  To me, THAT is "the right thing".  I wouldn't let them all just sit there, slowly degrading until people start posting NMs and then coming into the forums asking for advice on what to do about "that neglected cache".  

I completely agree. A cache owner who is moving away should pick up their caches and archive them.

On a scale of 1-10 for responsible cache ownership, I give this an 8. It is pretty amazing in my experience. I've gotten enough angry emails from owners who have moved away and get p.o'd when I NM/NA their broken caches, that this one was a breath of fresh air.

Edited by L0ne.R
typo

And in this case the owner couldn't go and pick up the container. I'm sure if they were in the area at some point they'd do so before archiving, but "the right thing" was to post and ask that someone else do so (it's quicker) and inform them so the cache can be archived without sitting and waiting in bad condition for an indefinite amount of time.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

If I ever move to a different state, my plan would be to archive or adopt out all of my existing caches before I leave.  To me, THAT is "the right thing".

What a coincidence -- you describe what I do every time I move, which I know I'll do every two years or so.  I put out my last couple new hides a month ago or so, and I'll police all my local physical hides weeks before the movers arrive.

Only exceptions are a couple low-maintenance caches, for which I have a local cacher that agreed to help out when needed.

Maybe the CO suddenly became physically incapacitated or suffering depression or other mental illness or incarcerated but does not wish to disclose such information and so handled the situation as best as possible.  We can play 'What ifs' and 'What should' but no one knows. This may have been the best solution the CO chose.

Edited by OwenfromKC
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I re-reading this, I don't think I properly emphasized what I think she did right, so I'll take this opportunity.

She ensured that the cache was removed.

She archived it herself instead of having a reviewer do it after months/years of neglect.

As a cache owner, I've dealt with moves six times already and am coming up on my seventh.  I'd still say that leaving the area without figuring out a maintenance plan (or adopting out or archiving caches) was not the preferred technique.  But I agree that she did the right thing at this point by archiving it herself.