Wherigo App not working on iOS11

C&U

Starting from iOS11 the Wherigo App get's no coordinate updates from GPS and is therefore unusable on iOS11.

The App will display the Location from laucnch of the app constantly.

The Direction (Compass) updates but the location will remain at the initial location.

5 hours ago, Keystone said:

I moved this thread from the iPhone App forum section.  As far as I know, the official iPhone geocaching app is not also a Wherigo player.

That's why I'm here.  Several years ago, Groundspeak bought an interest in spstanley's iOS Wherigo app, making it the only officially-recognized Wherigo app.

He should be monitoring the hardware section of this forum.

1 hour ago, Ranger Fox said:

That's why I'm here.  Several years ago, Groundspeak bought an interest in spstanley's iOS Wherigo app, making it the only officially-recognized Wherigo app.

He should be monitoring the hardware section of this forum.

I am now!  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll take a look at the issue, but the first thing to check would be that the Wherigo app has location services permission (Settings->Privacy->Location Services->Wherigo).

10 hours ago, C&U said:

Starting from iOS11 the Wherigo App get's no coordinate updates from GPS and is therefore unusable on iOS11.

The App will display the Location from laucnch of the app constantly.

The Direction (Compass) updates but the location will remain at the initial location.

I tested this with iOS 11 and an iPhone 7 and the location updated correctly.  Please check your Location Services settings for the Wherigo app; they’re likely disabled.

Hi,

I've never used the Wherigo app until yesterday but was hit by this issue. I have an iPhone 8+ running IOS 11.0.2 and the only time the GPS location updated was as application start. I've checked that location is turned on in Privacy and it is. Please can an update / fix be issued to correct this problem.

Thanks.

Edited by Gisby

I've been contacted by someone who had the same location problems trying to play my Wherigo with his iPhone 8. He's played over 100 wherigos but this was the first one with his new iPhone 8. He checked his Location services for Wherigo and they were enabled. Any other suggestions I can pass along?

Hi, I was testing a new Wherigo cartridge with my son and daughter.  I have an iPhone 6 iOS 11.2.6, my son has an iPhone 5S and my daughter a new iPhone 8 with iOS 11.2.6.  We all have the latest version of Wherigo and used the same cartridge.

I noticed that the location services don't work as well on the iPhone 8.  The arrow/compass at the bottom of a zone does not seem to point in the right direction most of the time compared to the other two iPhones.  And the location services don't seem to update very often.  At one point I had a narrow zone, I could not get the iPhone 8 to refresh with enough precision to get it.  We rebooted the phone. Killed all other apps. Retried, same results  

There is  clearly a different behavior between the iPhone 8 and the others.  May be it needs to have a Compass Calibration to work properly?  Many of the other GPS applications request a compass calibration.