Geomate Jr.

steagles

I am teaching a geocaching class at my elementary school and I'm using a batch of Geomate Jrs purchased by a teacher long before I arrived at the school.  From what I can tell, these devices stopped being supported by their company 5 years ago.  I have been using Geomate Loader to put caches on the devices, but I'm more transfer failures than successes.  GSAK doesn't support Geomate Jr. Does anyone know of any other loading programs that will workwith Geomate Jr?

Thanks for your help!

Thought a continuation of a remembered thread, but a different state (bought geomates for class, then found the company's vamoosed).    :)

Folks were figuring out ways to "rig" those things years before most finally gave up  trying to contact company support.

Browsers have been disabling plugins for security issues a while now too.

There may be someone with another temporary fix, and budgets may be an issue, but some things can't be polished and I guess I don't understand why.

I'd think used smartphones with GPS (enabling waypoints with an app) would be a reliable temp fix, or   Garmin etrex 20s (that'd last a number of years).

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd think used smartphones with GPS (enabling waypoints with an app) would be a reliable temp fix, or   Garmin etrex 20s (that'd last a number of years).

I figured I'm not the first to raise the question.  Of course, I just assumed the units would work, and the first handful did the other day.  Now... I got nuttin and class starts in two hours.  I will find a grant and hope to track down some funds so I can do this in the future.  Do you have a good app for entering waypoints? Geocaching app doesn't allow for this.

Thanks!

You can get ruggedized Android phones on AliExpress for ~$150 (such as the one I use), though half your kids probably already have phones of their own, no?  That could trim the number of units you'd need.

In the Android world there are several top-notch caching apps, though the one I'm fond of (Locus) has a bit of a learning curve.  If you want simple, there's always that house-brand app.  Note that you don't need a phone plan to go caching (with the right app); nothing says you need to put a SIM card in a phone to use it as a Garmin substitute.

Edited by Viajero Perdido