[bug?] PQ from map misses caches

terratin

I'm currently on Svalbard. Before the trip I made a pocketquery from the map which returned all traditionals, mysteries solved and unsolved and wherigos. But the one multi and all ECs are missing I found out later. I did not change any PQ settings. Glad I noticed the missing ECs before setting out on a boat trip yesterday without any internet or mobile phone signal and could thus do them on the phone in the end. Still uncertain what might have caused this.

I made two other PQs from the map later for which I deselected multies as those are just for short stopovers. No ECs or other special caches nearby, thus I don't know if something went wrong there as well.

The only way you can be sure that a PQ will return everything in your search area is to set it up so that it returns less that than the limit, say 980 caches or so.  When the maximum is reached caches are omitted because of the limit being hit.  As far as the user is concerned the omitted caches are "unselected" randomly.

5 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

The only way you can be sure that a PQ will return everything in your search area is to set it up so that it returns less that than the limit, say 980 caches or so.  When the maximum is reached caches are omitted because of the limit being hit.  As far as the user is concerned the omitted caches are "unselected" randomly.

That should not be a problem for Svalbard: the old country search page returns 58 caches for Svalbard and Jan Mayen.

Edited by hzoi

Looking at the TRIP_SVALBARD1 PQ on your account, it is only set to return traditionals, mysteries, and Project APE caches. I doubt you intended the latter.

I also noticed that you set the PQ up to return all caches within a 132 mile radius of a center point. Since you are specifically interested in caches on Svalbard, it might be more efficient to set the PQ up as a country search rather than a radius search.

3 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

I'm not sure where you heard this, but you've been misinformed.

When you create a PQ from the map, it creates the PQ using a distance filter. If the number of results is greater than the PQ's maximum, the caches are selected by increasing distance from the centre point until either the PQ maximum or radius limits are hit. It does not return a random selection of caches within the specified radius. I've never seen or heard of such a thing happening.

1 hour ago, Moun10Bike said:

Looking at the TRIP_SVALBARD1 PQ on your account, it is only set to return traditionals, mysteries, and Project APE caches. I doubt you intended the latter.

I also noticed that you set the PQ up to return all caches within a 132 mile radius of a center point. Since you are specifically interested in caches on Svalbard, it might be more efficient to set the PQ up as a country search rather than a radius search.

This is odd as I'm certain I got the Wherigo as well and it sits happily on my gps and phone app but I just didn't got around of doing it. Yes, the distance was kind of intentional though a bit bigger than I wanted initially as I had no reason to include the furthest away caches. I'll have another look again once I'm home as the cold has depleted my gps batteries completely and I'm now a phone cacher ;)

but yes, I first tried to download caches directly from the map in cachly which didn't work as ecs mainly would randomly disappear from the map. When trying to download to offline list I got an error message that no caches were displayed and hence could not be downloaded. Cachly could not find any caches at all on Amager in Copenhagen at that time. Guess the ones on Svalbard were kind if cache remnants of sorts. That was when the gc.com was having problems. So I tried actual pqs. 

19 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I'm not sure where you heard this, but you've been misinformed.

When you create a PQ from the map, it creates the PQ using a distance filter. If the number of results is greater than the PQ's maximum, the caches are selected by increasing distance from the centre point until either the PQ maximum or radius limits are hit. It does not return a random selection of caches within the specified radius. I've never seen or heard of such a thing happening.

Not heard this, rather remembered incorrectly, thanks for the correction. Obviously the the selection isn't random, I meant it could appear random to a user.