What GPS should I buy? was: Some advice...

Been out of caching for about 4 or so years and just started back up again.  My 8 year old has caught the bug and he absolutely loves it.  My main GPS unit is a tried and true Garmin 60CSX, but I am seeing all new fancy types of features out there on some GPS units so was thinking about upgrading if he is going to maintain interest in this which looks like he will be.  Should i upgrade to the 64?  what do you all think?

I'm a noob myself, and after some considerable research, settled on a 64st (which I'm still learning--manual is woefully inadequate).  Like it fine so far--even with the inferior maps (haven't upgraded to free new ones yet).  I saw a vid on YT comparing 64 features to the 62, but it looks like you're even another generation removed....  Here's the process I used for arriving at my choice.  YMM--of course--V. ;)

Not a parent, so I can't comment on suitability for an 8 yr. old (overkill?).  I'm sure he'd grow into it--if it lasts that long(?)  I'm retired, and find it challenging/sophisticated enough, but I'm still on the front end of the learning curve.  You know your kid best.

I've used eTrex units for some time starting with the b/w Vista and eventually the HCx, I had a colorado for a while but the battery life was woeful and it was a bit of a bear. Since then I've had a later model eTrex 20 and the eTrex 20x. 

I managed to get hold of an almost new Oregon 600 for a throw away price and I have to say this is the one I would recommend. You should be able to get a new 600 for every little and the only difference I can see with the newer 700 models is some weird garmin connectivity stuff and a camera. 

What it has over the 64 is first of all a much higher resolution screen but it still has excellent battery life, and of course it a touchscreen and that makes all the difference. I was nervous about a touchscreen device at first but I needn't have been. Also a big bonus for me is the micro customisation with the menus and shortcuts, it's a dream come true for me because I used it on my motorbike (with CN maps) and I used to use eTrex for that but it's constant button pressing and the software is not very good for driving.

On the Oregon though I can get a good size map and I can hide or show data fields with an on screen arrow, and further I can even touch the on screen guidance to get shown a live list of the whole route. Previously this all required switching back and forth between screens.

The resolution is even sharper than the Montana which seems way to large.

For about $280 USD new you'll never regret getting this.

And it's reassuringly tough I can't believe they went at it with a hammer.

They seem to go pretty cheap s/h too, this looks like it might be a bit of a bargain, 4hrs left. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Oregon-600-Handheld-/112537566545

Edited by gallet
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, TEAM HARTSOCK said:

Been out of caching for about 4 or so years and just started back up again.  My 8 year old has caught the bug and he absolutely loves it.  My main GPS unit is a tried and true Garmin 60CSX, but I am seeing all new fancy types of features out there on some GPS units so was thinking about upgrading if he is going to maintain interest in this which looks like he will be.  Should i upgrade to the 64?  what do you all think?

You need folks to convince you to get the new, shiny thing?     :laughing:            

I'm still using my trusty 60cxs, still manually load caches too.   Know what?  It's just as accurate today as those new "fancy" types.     :)  

Civilian GPS on it's best day is still only accurate to within 10' no matter how "fancy" the GPSr..  Hasn't changed since you started, and "best day" is a rare thing.

There is a bit of a learning curve for the 64 series (it just looks like yours)  but you'd figure it out easily.

If my 60cxs ever dies, I'd pick up a 64s for the other 2/3rds, and swipe her 60cxs.  By the time that dies, they'll probably have a 66 series.  :D

If your heart's set on getting a new gizmo (sounds like you are...), why not?     But, it isn't necessary as you've seen so far.

Have fun.

Good grief...I've been a member for what will be 12 years this December. I took a long hiatus for many reasons, but am ready to get back into the fold. My trusty old 60Csx still functions rather well, but my eyes aren't what they used to be now that I'm past the half century mark. I am also looking for specific suggestions to replace it. A camera is meh, but being waterproof and floating is a necessity, as is a larger screen. Definitely following this one.

The only floating models are the 78 series (and the older 76 and 72 series). So if you need your unit to float, that's what you're up for.

The rest are waterproof, but they'll sink if not attached to something that does float. Honestly, unless watersports are your main hobby, don't worry about the floating since you've been using a GPS that doesn't float this whole time.

The main reasons to upgrade your GPS are storage space and file compatibility. If you just use your GPS for basic orienteering and navigation and enter your coordinates manually, then yes your 60csx will work just fine. But if you constantly connect your GPS to your computer to add and remove data, a newer GPS will make your life much easier. All units that postdate the 60csx read the standard GPX file format, which can also be read into a number of software programs. The newer units are also fully USB compatible with no special cables needed. And they all have larger internal storage with the ability to add space with a microSD card. This means you can load it up with maps, waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches.

If you are a geocacher, there's no more need to load your caches as POIs as the GPX files contain all of the information you need (size, D/T ratings, description, logs, hint, etc.). It's truly paperless caching. Of course you'll need a premium membership to take advantage. But these days you kinda need a premium membership to use a GPS anyway until the fine folks at HQ come up with a permanent replacement for the "Send to GPX" button.