DNF for my cache

Hi,

We recently placed our 1st cache. It has been logged today as DNF by an experienced cacher, I've checked and it is still exactly where it should be and where other cachers have found it.

For the benefit of anyone who is considering looking for it how do I add a note to the logs to reassure that I've checked and the cache is still in place? I've tried to do it but can't see where or how. I'm assuming I have an obligation to check the cache if I'm notified of a DNF but.....perhaps not??

Thank you.

You can post a Needs Maintenance log. This Help Center article describes the process:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=404

Why would the OP post a Needs Maintenance on their own cache which they've checked and found to be in place?

I'm pretty sure he meant to say "Owner Maintenance". The article he linked to confirms this.

...but I'm sure you already knew that and just couldn't resist...

You can post a Needs Maintenance log. This Help Center article describes the process:

Why would the OP post a Needs Maintenance on their own cache which they've checked and found to be in place?

I'm pretty sure he meant to say "Owner Maintenance". The article he linked to confirms this.

...but I'm sure you already knew that and just couldn't resist...

...I expect you already know that mind reading isn't an exact science - but just couldn't resist...

...When I click on the link provided I'm taken to the top of a page entitled Ownership after publication with a sub-title of 6.5. Remove the “Needs Maintenance” icon

The OP doesn't have a Needs Maintenance icon to remove.

But heh - who am I to comment? <_<

I'm assuming I have an obligation to check the cache if I'm notified of a DNF but.....perhaps not??

This depends. You do not have to run out after every single DNF to check on it, but if you suspect there might be a problem (if it's an easy cache and gets a DNF, or if it starts getting a string of DNFs with no finds), it's very good to check on it to be sure it's still there. Some caches are very difficult - in cases like that, it's not really necessary to check on it after a DNF, because you expect there to be DNFs. But if it's supposed to be easy, then sure - check it out!

Yeah, I meant that he could post an Owner Maintenance log, which gets rid of the Needs Maintenance attribute when that attribute is set. In this case, the Owner Maintenance is simply a visit to make sure the cache is still there. That's all the log has to say.

I'm assuming I have an obligation to check the cache if I'm notified of a DNF but.....perhaps not??

This depends. You do not have to run out after every single DNF to check on it, but if you suspect there might be a problem (if it's an easy cache and gets a DNF, or if it starts getting a string of DNFs with no finds), it's very good to check on it to be sure it's still there. Some caches are very difficult - in cases like that, it's not really necessary to check on it after a DNF, because you expect there to be DNFs. But if it's supposed to be easy, then sure - check it out!

^ THIS ^

When you go to check on it, you might want to navigate using the coords from the cache page, rather than just from memory. This would help catch any errors with the coords.

The cache has a string of easy finds up until the single DNF and no mention of any coordinate issues.

It still isn't bad advice in general. There could be an error in the coordinates and it just isn't significant enough for people to specifically comment on, but could still be improved.

Most DNFs don't imply a cache problem. Historically, for about two thirds of the DNFs I've logged the cache has been fine, I was just looking in the wrong place, deceived by the camo or put off by muggles. Across my 27 hides I've received a total 46 DNF logs, none of which was due to a cache problem. One cache in particular has had 10 DNFs from 50 attempts as quite a few people just don't see the hiding place or dismiss it too quickly.

There's (currently) no requirement to dash out, check the cache and log an OM for every DNF. A lot can be gleaned from the content of the log - if it says the search was abandoned because of muggles, approaching storms or failing light then clearly no action by the CO is required or expected.

I think what you mean is.. The OP should not post a Needs Maintenance on their own cache, but should be logging a Owner Maintenance log instead. Less argumentative and nit-picky.

I think what you mean is.. The OP should not post a Needs Maintenance on their own cache, but should be logging a Owner Maintenance log instead. Less argumentative and nit-picky.

Never mind. Already called out.

Coming back for a second snark? :laughing:

I had a funny feeling that in trying to save the OP from confusion, whatever way I pointed out the obvious error would result in someone getting bent out of shape and having a go.

Looks one man's fair question is another man's argumentative and nit-picky.

Ah well.

Coming back for a second snark? :laughing:

I had a funny feeling that in trying to save the OP from confusion, whatever way I pointed out the obvious error would result in someone getting bent out of shape and having a go.

Looks one man's fair question is another man's argumentative and nit-picky.

Ah well.

:P

So you selected the route that was the least useful and most likely to be read as snarky? Odd. All you needed to do was point out the error in a neutral manner and move on, like so:

I think you meant "Owner maintenance"

...anyway, this discussion seems to have run its course.

So you selected the route that was the least useful and most likely to be read as snarky? Odd. All you needed to do was point out the error in a neutral manner and move on, like so:

I think you meant "Owner maintenance"

...anyway, this discussion seems to have run its course.

As if my point needed any further proof.