Switching to a GPS unit from phone: advice?

Rook House

Hi all,

I started geocaching about a year ago and while I haven't had as much time to do it as I would like, I love it and now have friends to go geocaching with too (and our geokids think it's fun too!) What we like best is to go to the woods and trails and geocache, but we are often frustrated because our phones lose service or the gps bounces. My husband wants to get me a dedicated GPS unit for Mother's Day :) But I want to get one that's right for me and I wonder if some more experienced cachers here could answer some questions for me?

I thought I was reasonably technologically literate, but reading some GPS-related posts feels like technobabble to me. But what I've got so far is that I should definitely get a Garmin, that going with the cheapest model will probably just be frustrating and I am better off investing a little more, that I need TOPO maps, and should download something to my computer called GSAK (have i got that right?) which will help me load groups of caches faster.

So I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 64st. I live in western NY state and usually cache here, but I work in PA and would love to cache when I am traveling elsewhere too. Question: does a gps device NOT work if you don't have TOPO maps loaded on them, or just not give you as much info about the terrain? Part of the reason I ask is that I'm frequently in Ontario as well, where I'm from, and where caching is super frustrating with my phone because I don't get service there and I have to have already looked at the cache on my phone geocaching app individually for me to be able to see it while I'm in Ontario, and even then, the GPS bounces like crazy (but we still manage to find caches like this sometimes!) So does the garmin come with any kind of "base map" that is sufficient for an area you don't go to that often, or would I have to get US Topo maps AND a Canada topo map?

Those I think are my most pressing questions before I pick a unit, but I'm sure I will think of others. Please do let me know if you think I'd be better served with a different device based on what I'm doing with it. The other attraction for me with a GPS is not running out of batteries so fast! My friend and I once did a 17-cache day along a trail in the woods (I know that's small potatoes for many of you but it was thrilling for us!) and we were more limited by phone battery than by time!

Sorry this is long! I hope you can help.

Rather than edit...

Our very old 60cxs' came with a basic map, and we cached with that for some time before we installed TOPO.

Some who started with phones prefer the Garmin touchscreen models (Oregon seems popular) rather than buttons.

We've used phones for caching since '05, yet still prefer buttons on a GPSr. :)

About the maps, the 64st would come with a preloaded TOPO map of the US. There are additional free maps that can be added to Garmins, so that might be a solution for your Ontario map needs. If you do a search of the forums for free Garmin maps, then you'll probably find some useful info about that.

Regarding GSAK. That's not necessary to load caches to your Garmin. You can run PQ's and load groups of caches to your GPSr without using GSAK. You can also create Lists and use a new Send to Garmin feature on geocaching.com to send caches to a 64st.

The Garmin GPSMAP 64 is a decent unit and will work better than your phone. Find it on line on sale. I would say the choice of maps depends more on your personality and technical interest more than anything else. If you typically learn as you go along and have some technical skills, buy the low end unit and play with it and see what you think. Then add maps as you want them either from Garmin or "gpsfiledepot" which has free topo available for download. If you are more "plug and play" get the high end unit with the most pre-installed maps and be done with it.

To put this in perspective: Early GPSr units had no graphic display (you followed the arrow) and no 3 axis compass (the compass only worked while you were moving). You do not actually need a map to find a cache. I still find caches using my very basic eTrex which has only a basemap installed. The modern version of this unit costs $90. My suggestion would be to read the owners manual (find it on line) for any unit you are interested in to learn about it before you buy it. By comparing similar units you might get a better handle on which version suits your interests.

Edited by edexter

If you typically learn as you go along and have some technical skills, buy the low end unit and play with it and see what you think. Then add maps as you want them either from Garmin or "gpsfiledepot" which has free topo available for download.

I would agree with this, but not if "buy the low end unit" means to buy an eTrex 10. The yellow eTrex (10) will not allow for adding things later. At the bare minimum, an eTrex 20.

Checking for expandability options with any "low end unit" is important, otherwise someone could end up wanting more and having to buy a slightly better unit to accommodate.

Among others I own an Oregon and 3-62S units, a 64S , and a 78S.

I recommend the 78S.....its a 62S EXACTLY but with a better case...it doesn't have the rubbery cover of the 62 series which gets destroyed along with the buttons ( I think sweaty hands are the culprit )....the case and button arrangement are more ergonomic on the 78.

Do some research and check out the 78S.

I started out caching with a Garmin GPS 12XL and it had similar performance to an eTrex 10 (that I also own), and that is to say "not great".

I now own a Garmin GPSMAP 64st and I love it. I had been trying to use my smartphone to geocache, but many of the caches around here are in deep tree cover and the signal would bounce around a lot.

The GPSMAP 64st has a much better antenna than the average GPS patch antenna, so it holds a good lock on the signal, and I've never had trouble in deep tree cover.

You DO pay for the extra bells and whistles, though.

I also use GSAK with it and it works great.

I would reocmend both the GPSMAP 64st (topomaps are nice, as they get drawn over that sat maps you can download to the GPS), and GSAK.