Ummmm, Okay?

oregone

Well, since it has a five star terrain rating, which means specialized equiptment is needed and he hasn't explained what, and he doesn't want us to bother him with any e-mails, I'm not sure how to begin.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

I read the description and shook my head in wonder. This is one of those caches that precludes the majority of cachers participation. There should be a category of cache called a survey cache. It is important to note that many of our founding fathers were surveyors. They created a wonderfully rectilinear country for us. A nation based on right angles and white freedoms. One only needs to visit the Carto Cache to see the logic of their wisdom. That being said I dont see a survey of this site in my future. Being a populist I will stick to caches for the common man.

Well, Oregone, you probably already know what we think of this one! icon_confused.gif

We are close to finding our 100th cache and we noticed you are very close to your 200th. To commemorate the event, we have been trying to think of what cache would make a great century mark for our geocaching history. Port-a-potty won't be the one. Of course when you have as many as you do and have to drive 100 miles to get a new one, you might be tempted! icon_wink.gif

Well, Oregone, you probably already know what we think of this one! icon_confused.gif

We are close to finding our 100th cache and we noticed you are very close to your 200th. To commemorate the event, we have been trying to think of what cache would make a great century mark for our geocaching history. Port-a-potty won't be the one. Of course when you have as many as you do and have to drive 100 miles to get a new one, you might be tempted! icon_wink.gif

I just wait for them to come to me icon_wink.gif

Regarding port-a-potty, I, too doubt I'll hunt this cache (or any of his) as they aren't geocaches in the original sense of the word (being one who was around when it was coined). Instead of providing coordinates (to the cache or various stages) and allowing seekers to determine how to reach them, he feels the need to provide directions. This method fits more into the letterbox realm. Thanks, but no thanks.

5505_600.gif

I just wait for them to come to me icon_wink.gif

Regarding port-a-potty, I, too doubt I'll hunt this cache (or any of his) as they aren't geocaches in the original sense of the word (being one who was around when it was coined). Instead of providing coordinates (to the cache or various stages) and allowing seekers to determine how to reach them, he feels the need to provide directions. This method fits more into the letterbox realm. Thanks, but no thanks.

5505_600.gif

I was originally drawn to this cache because of its 5/5 rating. As far as i know, it's the only cache with this rating within 100 miles of my zipcode.

But as i read the cache description, i realized that it was totally beyond my realm of knowledge.

In fact, it all read like an alien language to me. But that's probably just because i'm not into surveying and cartography as much as i should be. But that got me thinking (and i was/am under the influence of too many long islands): Although it's a totally valid geocache, i think that the language used in the description makes it too inaccessible.

I mean, i really want to find this cache because the beginning coordinates lead to the same street that i met ex-girlfriend Jill on. Not only that, but it's within 'my territory.' But since i can't email him with questions, i feel excluded somehow. what's a COGO? i don't know.

my realm of experience is limited, to say the least. especially when it comes to stuff like this. Can you imagine what would happen if i placed a cache involving--i don't know--the bra sizes of my ex-girlfriends, for example?

i guess what i'm saying is that caches should be available to everyone, even stupid people like me. I would never make people extrapolate Hamlet's motivations for soliloquizing about Yorick's skull without a REALLY good hint. I don't make anyone do a scansion on Sir Thomas Wyatt's 'Whoso List to Hunt' or anything. If i ever do any of that, please call me on it.

I would be much more articulate, but there's a party here and they keep distracting me.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

[This message was edited by oregone on March 13, 2002 at 10:12 AM.]

Going out on a hike to explore the area and take in some new scenery is fun. Going out on a hike to explore the area and not finding the cache is ok but leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When I hike I'd rather battle snakes or something AND still find the cache with moderate difficulty.

Just my $0.03 worth.

quote:
imagine what would happen if i placed a cache involving--i don't know--the bra sizes of my ex-girlfriends, for example?

The thought you actually know what these might be is amazing to me. I've been married 4 years and couldn't tell you those of my wife! (of course, after 2 children they tend to grow and shrink at will) icon_smile.gif

quote:
I would never make people extrapolate Hamlet's motivations for soliloquizing about Yorick's skull without a REALLY good hint. I don't make anyone do a scansion on Sir Thomas Wyatt's 'Whoso List to Hunt' or anything.

Ummm...what? icon_wink.gif

5505_600.gif

quote:
imagine what would happen if i placed a cache involving--i don't know--the bra sizes of my ex-girlfriends, for example?

The thought you actually know what these might be is amazing to me. I've been married 4 years and couldn't tell you those of my wife! (of course, after 2 children they tend to grow and shrink at will) icon_smile.gif

quote:
I would never make people extrapolate Hamlet's motivations for soliloquizing about Yorick's skull without a REALLY good hint. I don't make anyone do a scansion on Sir Thomas Wyatt's 'Whoso List to Hunt' or anything.

Ummm...what? icon_wink.gif

5505_600.gif