search on the map

MatthiasEBS

Actually you're searching for caches around a given point. So there is no need to mark that specific point as such (btw: the point is in the middle of the map).

Hans

It may worth noting that the "middle of the map" is the middle when the panel on the left the page is collapsed. If one resizes the browser window, the map does not re-center either. Personally I think displaying the center point of a map after a coordinate or feature (e.g. an address) search could be useful. If one, collapses the left pane, then zooms in, you can get a good idea where the center point is but displaying the center point with some sort of transparent icon would be nice as well.

The "middle of the map" is not a point I can easily locate on the map. A pin marker would easily allow to locate e.g. the final coordinates of a mystery. In addition, a coordinate grid would also be a helpful option. E.g. Google maps has both, so I think I need GC map for seeking for caches and Google maps for locating coordinates.

The "middle of the map" is not a point I can easily locate on the map. A pin marker would easily allow to locate e.g. the final coordinates of a mystery. In addition, a coordinate grid would also be a helpful option. E.g. Google maps has both, so I think I need GC map for seeking for caches and Google maps for locating coordinates.

If you have entered the corrected coordinates for a cache and want to see the "solved" location of that cache on a map, then you can look at the small map on the cache page. The map on the right side of the page, just above the log entries. This map will show the cache icon at the corrected coordinates.

You can also see cache icons at their 'corrected' coords if you do a search for that area. For example:

Play -> Find a Geocache -> Enter city/GC Code/etc -> Search -> Map These Results -- Cache icons appear at the 'corrected' coords.

Of course, there isn't an indication of which icons are using corrected coords or original coords.

Since you're using Google Maps, if you want to know the specific coordinate of any location on the map, do a right click, then select "what's here?". That'll display the lat/long coordinates in decimal degrees format but you can copy and paste them into the GS maps to use a specific feature you see on the map as a center point.

I do agree with you though that some sort of indicator for the center point on the map would be useful. When searching the map using a "feature name" (a city, postal code, etc) the coordinates derived come from a geocoding service, and GS has occasionally changed geocoding services. A postal code entered into a map today might not produce the same center point next week.

I now understand that the map on geocaching.com is not a tool to locate waypoints, but rather an overview map to look at where Caches are in my region. So now I am using Google maps for locating waypoints. I thought the geocaching.com map would supply this locating functionality as well.