So many coins :) So many trails!

Lemon Fresh Dog

Hello everyone!

Long time, no posting. I've been around for quite a few years though. I'm a pretty casual cacher and really only cache when I go hiking and traveling.

However, back around 2004-2006 I created a few of my own geocoins - including the very first unique-shape coin: Lemon Fresh Dog's Geo-bone. (the Georgia Peach was the other one that released around the same time, but I'm pretty certain my design was first :)

I did quite a bit of trading and purchasing of coins in the earliest days - for when I wasn't hiking and traveling.

At any rate, I'm now thinking I should probably let most of my coins go into the hands of others than may enjoy them. I have around 600 or so of the earliest coins from the hobby.

Which bring up a couple questions:

1) Is there any etiquette around coin dispersal I should know about? I have some that are pretty rare and don't want to offend any original owners. If you ever traded with me in the past and would be offended if I sold the coin we traded - just let me know.

2) What is the general best way to sell to fellow collectors? Like I said, I have 600+ of the earliest coins from 2004-2006/7 Really cool ones :surprise:

I'll check back here every-so-often to see what folks think/post.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Couple of things to consider

Activated or not

Do you want to sell the lot or piece them out

The whole lot might be a bit of a hard sell

You could post a list here or a link to a list and let folks pick the ones they might be interested in

Grab bags seem to do all right as well

If you just want to make some $$$ try the e-place

Good luck

Cool! I loved making coins back in the day (I have about 5 of my own that I'll keep).

I'll try to get a list here of some as soon as I can.

My main concern is to ensure nobody is offended if I sell them - so shout out if you traded with me and would be offended. I'm selling these to buy some more hiking/camping/photo equipment for some extensive hiking (week(s) at a time)

Couple of things to consider

Activated or not

Do you want to sell the lot or piece them out

The whole lot might be a bit of a hard sell

You could post a list here or a link to a list and let folks pick the ones they might be interested in

Grab bags seem to do all right as well

If you just want to make some $$$ try the e-place

Good luck

I would never sell an activated or "found" coin. If they are activated it would be by myself and the new owner could adopt them. Even though I don't cache much - I would NEVER sell a travel item that I found in a cache.

ALL of my coins in the 600+ were either traded or bought by myself. The only two that I need to really worry about are the Moun10Bike v2 and one by CalvaryScout (I think). They were also traded for - not found in caches, but I think I need to check because they may be offended if I sell the coin. That's the point of this thread actually.

The coins were never about the money for me - I just liked having them. However, at this point, I just want to go "light-weight" on many things. I'm selling books, comics, and things that I haven't looked at or used in more than a couple years. My goal over the next 5-10 years is to do more multi-day hiking and I want some specific equipment to do this with - not coins :)

In a "perfect" world - someone would just buy the lot of them at $10 a coin and we could call it a day. Anyone with $6000 out there? :)

Sounds, that you have a lot of older coins. If you have some old Dutch geocoins within your collection I would be really interested. Do not hesitate to contact me via GC messenger. I have listed a few of the coins, I am still looking for:

- ANWB Paddenstoel Geocoin (polished nickel & polished Gold))

- Dutch Geocoin (2005 Polished Silver Edition)

- Fazanten Geocoin(all versions of Tibetan Flag Edition)

- Fazanten Geocoin (Fazanten "Endless-Knot" Geocoin (Polished Gold) Rising Sun Edition)

- Gele Bussie Geocoin (all versions)

- Geo 40 Series Geocoin (Wij drie Edition)

- Saffier & Stekelsteef Personal Geocoin (all versions)

- Delfts Blauw Geocoin (all versions)

- Dutch Geocoin 2006 (all versions)

- European Wildlife Series Geocoin (Antique Copper)

- Team Geocaching - Hockey Geocoin (all Version from WILG Edition #08)

- VGC Geocoins 2006

Could be, that I have forgotten one or two ;) If you need pictures for the coin, I have no problems to provide them!

I appreciate your time!

Geo-Dragonchild

Edited by Geo-Dragonchild

Wow, a voice from the past! I hope you are doing well, sir.

I also thinned out my collection, about 3 years ago now and only have about 75 or so left but they are the ones that mean a lot to me. You can bet yours are in that group!

I understand the need to reduce clutter and put these into the hands of those that will now appreciate them.

If you still have any of my personal coins, do with them as you wish. Maybe they will make you a few bucks.

As for the Moun10bike coins...They are all activated under his account and he may lock it if it is sold - I would recommend checking with him.

I haven't seen/ heard from CavScout in years....Since the old days, so I can't/won't speak to that one.

The rules for selling here are pretty much the same - just no advertising the non-trackables.

I ended up selling most of mine by looking up and joining a few Facebook groups using "Geocoins" as the search term. I ended up maximizing what I got for some of the harder to find coins but it took a fair amount of work, too.

My advice is to start a spreadsheet or document you can share and update like via Google Docs for managing things. I got a few offers for my lot of coins for around $5 or maybe $6 each because the people were going to resell them and they'd be investing the time...which is fair.

Best of luck in whichever path you choose.

Wow, a voice from the past! I hope you are doing well, sir.

I also thinned out my collection, about 3 years ago now and only have about 75 or so left but they are the ones that mean a lot to me. You can bet yours are in that group!

I understand the need to reduce clutter and put these into the hands of those that will now appreciate them.

If you still have any of my personal coins, do with them as you wish. Maybe they will make you a few bucks.

As for the Moun10bike coins...They are all activated under his account and he may lock it if it is sold - I would recommend checking with him.

I haven't seen/ heard from CavScout in years....Since the old days, so I can't/won't speak to that one.

The rules for selling here are pretty much the same - just no advertising the non-trackables.

I ended up selling most of mine by looking up and joining a few Facebook groups using "Geocoins" as the search term. I ended up maximizing what I got for some of the harder to find coins but it took a fair amount of work, too.

My advice is to start a spreadsheet or document you can share and update like via Google Docs for managing things. I got a few offers for my lot of coins for around $5 or maybe $6 each because the people were going to resell them and they'd be investing the time...which is fair.

Best of luck in whichever path you choose.

Airborne Pasta Pal!

Great to see your name! Glad you are well - things here are great.

I, like you, planned to keep some - but found it too hard to choose. I'm trying to do some larger multi-day hikes and just need to get some light-weight gear. So I figure that selling some coins will mean I can take them into the woods in "spirit".

I did contact Moun10Bike and while he does prefer they don't sell - he said once out of his hands he can't do much. However, my reputation and respect for others is paramount.

So..... if anyone is hiking the West Coast Trail after I do - you may just find a Moun10Bike V2 (along with some Geobone V2's). I may save it for Nootka Island or the North Coast Trail in 2017/18

Great to hear from you - take care!

Greetings, kind of sad to see you are selling some of your collection. Can't wait to see the Coins you choose to sell. I am looking for a GC trackable North Dakota Coin and the FTF Magazine V6,I1 (the first in 2016)for those portions of my collections. Please keep us informed on how you choose to proceed. :D

In some ways I'm sad as well... however, I am using the funds to finance outdoor adventures (photo equipment and a new tent). So I sort of feel I am using the coins in a good way.

At the moment, there is one person interested in getting the lot. This would be easiest for me and a real win-win (as there is a range on the coins). I am not sure if I have the trackable North Dakota coin - I did get a LOT of the early State coins though.

Greetings, kind of sad to see you are selling some of your collection. Can't wait to see the Coins you choose to sell. I am looking for a GC trackable North Dakota Coin and the FTF Magazine V6,I1 (the first in 2016)for those portions of my collections. Please keep us informed on how you choose to proceed. :D

In some ways I'm sad as well... however, I am using the funds to finance outdoor adventures (photo equipment and a new tent). So I sort of feel I am using the coins in a good way.

At the moment, there is one person interested in getting the lot. This would be easiest for me and a real win-win (as there is a range on the coins). I am not sure if I have the trackable North Dakota coin - I did get a LOT of the early State coins though.

I hope things work out in your favor---obviously!!! ;) If you do sell them as "singles," I'd love to see what you've got...and, the ND!!! :)

I don't have this kind of money.

But a solution for your non-sellable coin could be this: Whoever buys the whole collection without these Unsellables for your fixed price ($10 each?), gets them as a free bonus.

This sale is really just about thinning out some coins to get some photo and outdoor gear. I have a fixed amount that I am looking to raise and once that happens will just stop selling them - it's actually a bit of a hassle to sell them one-by-one.

Also, as I go through them there are many fond memories and I'm getting re-attached to them! :laughing:

I think I may keep more than I thought I would and place a number into .... gasp! ... caches!!!

I still cache, but don't log my finds (one day I will) - I tend to leave nicer items in caches and don't want to be followed. I'm behind by quite a bit in logging.