A long distance puzzle or multi

Jeanovanwam

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to Geocaching. I have been finding them for a little over 6 months and have also placed 4 traditional caches around my local area. The question I have is. Is it possible for me to start a puzzle cache in New Zealand that once solved will actually give you coordinates to an area that is close by to my house in Australia. So obviously it will be able to be maintained. I can't find where I read that GZ needed to be close to the posted coordinates.Its a play on words and should be relatively easy for people to solve but they will have to wait until they get across to Sydney to be able to search for GZ. I hope this makes sense I am trying to write this without giving to much away.

Thanks Legends

Look here:

Home → Hiding a Geocache → Listing submission and review process → Mystery Caches

The final stage cannot be more than 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) from the posted coordinates. This allows the cache to show up in nearby searches.

But the best way is, to ask a nearby reviewer what he thinks about.

I don't think you will get this published.

Greetz

Thomas

Thank you I will ask the question! It can't hurt

Look here:

Home → Hiding a Geocache → Listing submission and review process → Mystery Caches

The final stage cannot be more than 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) from the posted coordinates. This allows the cache to show up in nearby searches.

But the best way is, to ask a nearby reviewer what he thinks about.

I don't think you will get this published.

Greetz

Thomas

Thank you I will ask the question! It can't hurt

Multi-caches, yes. Mystery caches, no.

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to Geocaching. I have been finding them for a little over 6 months and have also placed 4 traditional caches around my local area. The question I have is. Is it possible for me to start a puzzle cache in New Zealand that once solved will actually give you coordinates to an area that is close by to my house in Australia. So obviously it will be able to be maintained. I can't find where I read that GZ needed to be close to the posted coordinates.Its a play on words and should be relatively easy for people to solve but they will have to wait until they get across to Sydney to be able to search for GZ. I hope this makes sense I am trying to write this without giving to much away.

Thanks Legends

There is a type of cache that I often seen mentioned in the "All Nations" forum called an exchange cache. Here is how it works.

You would crate a two stage mystery cache near your house in Australia. Someone else (that lives in New Zealand) would create a two stage mystery cache in New Zealand. The first stage of your mystery cache would contain the coordinates for the final of the cache in New Zealand, and the first stage of the cache in New Zealand would contain the coordinates for the final of your cache. Then a cacher in Australia would exchange the final coordinates they found from a cacher in New Zealand. The stages between each cache in each country would be within the 2 mile limit. There are a couple of exchanges caches frequently mentioned in the All Nations forum, one that has caches in Tokyo and Bakersfield, and another with caches in Amsterdam and Atlanta. The forum is frequently used to find someone to exchange data with for the other cache in the pair of exchange caches. To do this, you'll need to find a cacher in New Zealand willing to place and maintain the mystery cache located there.

Hey Guys,

Thanks Legends

Guidelines

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

3. Mystery/Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve this type cache must be available to the general community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location, but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location.

Final coordinates must be less than 2 miles (3.2 km) from the posted coordinates. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and means that the mileage of Trackables passing through the cache will be reasonably accurate.

Add the final set of coordinates and any additional waypoints to the cache listing before submitting for review.

Before you submit the cache listing, post a Note to Reviewer with an explanation of how the puzzle is solved. This log will auto-delete on publication.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Listing submission and review process

1.20. Mystery Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

If the posted coordinates are not for the final stage, the final coordinates must be added as an additional waypoint. The final stage cannot be more than 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) from the posted coordinates. This allows the cache to show up in nearby searches.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Listing submission and review process

1.21. Multi-Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=559

B.