Promoting Officers

T0SHEA

Over the last few months we were promoted to officers in several categories, unaware of the promotion until the first waymark was submitted for review.

Perhaps we joined the group in support of the category, without intentions of being an officer.

Perhaps we joined the group after some discussion on the forum (inactive category), though the most recent ones, I could not find discussions about the specific category.

We are not unhappy about the promotions. However as a courtesy, a note before the fact would have been appreciated;

1. Giving us the option to accept or decline the promotion.

2. Providing us with time to review the guidelines before the submissions begin.

The dilemma is where the other officers may have lost interest, experience exceptional personal circumstances, or for other reasons unknown, some of our waymarks are left in the queue not reviewed for over a month and in some cases longer.

As a personal policy: We do not review our own waymarks.

Have you been promoted to officer without prior notification?

If so, what are your thoughts about a promotion without a notification?

Or if this has not happened to you, what are your thoughts about being promoted without your prior knowledge?

(We are aware that we could quit the group removing us as an officer)

If we did this, and we were the only active officer: then the category is potentially in limbo.

I have been promoted as an officer in numerous categories without my 'approval' first. I personally don't mind, since it becomes apparent in many categories that another individual's help is needed to keep the category active and viable. Although a courtesy e-mail from an officer asking if that individual would be interested in becoming an officer is appreciated, I also understand the importance of getting an officer on board sooner than later and risk the category becoming stagnant.

As for a leader of a category wanting to vacate the role, it's pretty easy, there's an option within the leader's profile to click the 'Resign as Leader of this Group (no vote required)'. I would assume after the link is clicked, the leader has the option of selecting a fellow officer to take over as leader.

As for a leader of a category wanting to vacate the role, it's pretty easy, there's an option within the leader's profile to click the 'Resign as Leader of this Group (no vote required)'. I would assume after the link is clicked, the leader has the option of selecting a fellow officer to take over as leader.

Yes, that is how it worked. Now that I vacated a category and there were less than 3 officers, it's set to "auto approve". I didn't know that there was an auto approve function, by apparently there is. B)

Yes, that is how it worked. Now that I vacated a category and there were less than 3 officers, it's set to "auto approve". I didn't know that there was an auto approve function, by apparently there is. B)

Leaving a Waymarking category as the leader without selecting another officer to take over or at least ensuring a three-officer minimum seems a little rash.Do I dare ask what category this affected?

Leaving a Waymarking category as the leader without selecting another officer to take over or at least ensuring a three-officer minimum seems a little rash.Do I dare ask what category this affected?

Sure, it was the Virginia Historical Markers group. I appointed the one officer that was part of the take over a few years ago, I just gave it back to him. The category was stagnated when he took it over.

I don't think it was rash, it only took a few hours to appoint new officers. The category is quite inactive, so nothing was effected.

If others did the same as I, and promote officers before they leave, Waymarking would run as intended. :)

Has anyone else noticed that there is an increase in vote to promote requests?

We have received three in the last two days.

Hi,

it was me who promoted some Waymarkers. Hope that's okay for the Waymarkers I promoted. If not, just step back again. My queue is very full the last months so I thought some additional officers would be a good thing.

Regards,

-lumbricus