Duplicate codes

justintim1999

Tricky - you now have two physical objects classified by the one code - they might even be in different continents.... ideally one is taken out of circulation - you could put a note on the TB page explaining the situation, and ask whoever finds the one you want removed to do something with it?? Better still, don't reuse codes.... :) they are pretty cheap.....

If the code hasn't shown up for a year or more, it probably is not going to.

I reuse codes all the time when I feel they are truly missing, and I haven't yet had one reappear.

If it does, it is not really a big deal. The mileage might seem funny, there might be a tug of war. Contact the cacher with the 'copy' and ask them to take it out of play. Easily handled.

How often dose the original travel bug show up after the code has been re-used.

I couldn't say, but I imagine a lost TB basically never resurfaces. But the question is this: if it did happen, wouldn't you love to see it cleanly expressed in the logs? I would, so I'll go out and buy a second TB rather than reuse the one for the TB that's lost and risk not realizing that a miracle has happened.

So I'm wondering: TBs go missing all the time. When the second one disappears, will you launch a 3rd? Or a 10th? At some point don't you say "I think I've launched this TB number enough times"? If so, then I'd say launching it just once is the logical number.

I couldn't say, but I imagine a lost TB basically never resurfaces. But the question is this: if it did happen, wouldn't you love to see it cleanly expressed in the logs? I would, so I'll go out and buy a second TB rather than reuse the one for the TB that's lost and risk not realizing that a miracle has happened.

So I'm wondering: TBs go missing all the time. When the second one disappears, will you launch a 3rd? Or a 10th? At some point don't you say "I think I've launched this TB number enough times"? If so, then I'd say launching it just once is the logical number.

I guess an explanation is in order. I'm working on a program to release travel bugs for hospitalized children. I have a group of people that are interested in managing and releasing the travel bugs. The only obstacle is money. Between us we have about 75 travel bugs that have gone missing over the years. Re-using the numbers would allow us to get started without any up-front cost.

Was interested in how this has worked for those that have done it.

I guess an explanation is in order. I'm working on a program to release travel bugs for hospitalized children. I have a group of people that are interested in managing and releasing the travel bugs. The only obstacle is money. Between us we have about 75 travel bugs that have gone missing over the years. Re-using the numbers would allow us to get started without any up-front cost.

I don't know the details of your plan, but it sounds dangerous.

At first blush, it sounds like you're setting sick kids up for disappointment by assigning a TB to them to watch or to which you want them to make some sort of attachment.

How will they feel when their Travel Bug:

•  
  • Doesn't move,
  • Gets picked up and HELD,
  • Gets placed in a seldom visited cache,
  • Gets 'visited' endlessly to LPC's in a small area,
  • Gets no-text logs,
  • Gets lame or inappropriate logs,
  • Loses its connected Traveler or
  • Black-Holes!

You have no control over ANY of these factors, and may be tying a sick child's mental health to 'luck', which when dealing with TBs is notoriously bad.

You're STARTING with SEVENTY FIVE dead tracking numbers from missing TB's just in your group - doesn't that raise a red flag to you?

It's great that you want to do something for these chidren, but isn't this risky?

I don't know the details of your plan, but it sounds dangerous.

At first blush, it sounds like you're setting sick kids up for disappointment by assigning a TB to them to watch or to which you want them to make some sort of attachment.

How will they feel when their Travel Bug:

•  
  • Doesn't move,
  • Gets picked up and HELD,
  • Gets placed in a seldom visited cache,
  • Gets 'visited' endlessly to LPC's in a small area,
  • Gets no-text logs,
  • Gets lame or inappropriate logs,
  • Loses its connected Traveler or
  • Black-Holes!

You have no control over ANY of these factors, and may be tying a sick child's mental health to 'luck', which when dealing with TBs is notoriously bad.

You're STARTING with SEVENTY FIVE dead tracking numbers from missing TB's just in your group - doesn't that raise a red flag to you?

It's great that you want to do something for these chidren, but isn't this risky?

I assume they will feel the same way I feel when a Travel Bug goes missing. Sad to see it go but happy to have followed it's travels.

What isn't risky in this world?

With what some of these kids have gone and are going through I don't think a missing travel bug will have very much of a negative effect on their lives. In fact I think watching them travel would do much more good than harm.

the ability to reach beyond a hospital bed and touch other people from around the world....Powerful medicine.

Re-using the numbers would allow us to get started without any up-front cost.

Don't forget that you'd also be re-using the trackable pages, complete with all the existing logs and travelled distance.

Personally, I think it would be a better idea to start with fresh trackables so each child can customize the trackable and start on an even playing field (I know this isn't a competition, but the children will probably take pride in how far their trackable has travelled; giving some kids a bigger head-start than others may not go over well). I know you said money is an issue, but I'm sure you'd be able to find some local cachers who would be willing to donate for such a cause.

Don't forget that you'd also be re-using the trackable pages, complete with all the existing logs and travelled distance.

Personally, I think it would be a better idea to start with fresh trackables so each child can customize the trackable and start on an even playing field (I know this isn't a competition, but the children will probably take pride in how far their trackable has travelled; giving some kids a bigger head-start than others may not go over well). I know you said money is an issue, but I'm sure you'd be able to find some local cachers who would be willing to donate for such a cause.

Thanks, I didn't take into consideration the mileage. I think your right. New tags are the way to go.

What do you think about starting with a new tag and if... when the TB goes missing re-release it for the same person with the same page?

Yes, I'll launch a 3rd or a 10th time.

I want to see more travel bugs traveling the world, and these numbers are already paid for and available and last forever, so I keep re-releasing them as needed.

I also buy new ones and release as well, so it gets even more TBs out in the wild.

I want to see more travel bugs traveling the world, and these numbers are already paid for and available and last forever, so I keep re-releasing them as needed.

I also buy new ones and release as well, so it gets even more TBs out in the wild.

How do you handle them when the original pops up after the duplicate has already been released?

Thanks, I didn't take into consideration the mileage. I think your right. New tags are the way to go.

What do you think about starting with a new tag and if... when the TB goes missing re-release it for the same person with the same page?

Yep, that would be fine. Just don't be too hasty to rerelease them, sometimes TBs can be slow moving, but not yet lost.

As for your project, how many bugs are you trying to get? I might donate a few to your project.

(PS, I recommend looking for the sale items in the Groundspeak shop, sometimes there are some less expensive ones)

How do you handle them when the original pops up after the duplicate has already been released?

I usually wait until I am pretty sure they are done before releasing.

If one does get two moving at once, I contact one of the cachers and ask them to remove it from play.

Yep, that would be fine. Just don't be too hasty to rerelease them, sometimes TBs can be slow moving, but not yet lost.

As for your project, how many bugs are you trying to get? I might donate a few to your project.

(PS, I recommend looking for the sale items in the Groundspeak shop, sometimes there are some less expensive ones)

we've proposed it to a couple of local children's hospitals and the response has been positive. I plan on meeting with the local volunteer coordinators to explain the program within a couple of weeks. After that I should have a better idea on how many children we're looking at.

I usually wait until I am pretty sure they are done before releasing.

If one does get two moving at once, I contact one of the cachers and ask them to remove it from play.

Have you had much success in getting them to remove it?

I think that would work fine, but like fuzziebear3 said, don't rerelease them too soon. I've had two trackables resurface after being missing for 2 and 2.5 years, respectively. You probably wouldn't need to wait that long, but I'd give them at least 6 months after they've appeared to go missing before you rerelease the new ones.

I think that would work fine, but like fuzziebear3 said, don't rerelease them too soon. I've had two trackables resurface after being missing for 2 and 2.5 years, respectively. You probably wouldn't need to wait that long, but I'd give them at least 6 months after they've appeared to go missing before you rerelease the new ones.

6 months sounds reasonable. Have you had any experience with requesting travel bugs be "removed from play?"

I have been the one with the bug that needed removed from play -- no problem. At that point it is generally a bit of laminated paper and a trinket. Remove the paper, and swag the trinket.

I haven't actually had any of mine get in the duplicate state such that I needed one to be removed. But a nice email should work fine if it happens.

I am rather particular about which bugs I re-release, looking for particular patterns.

1.) If the number has been compromised and I keep getting (false) discoveries on it, I will not rerelease that one, it would just be a headache.

2.) If it is 'in the hands of ...' a cacher, unless they have written me and confirmed that they really lost it, then I probably won't rerelease it. I'm still thinking it is at the bottom of their pack, in their car, in a drawer, or something and I will let it bug them in their inventory until the end of time. If I look at their profile and see that they found just a few caches more than a year ago and quit, then I might rerelease it anyway. If they are active and fess up that they lost it, I will move it to unknown, and plan to rerelease it soon.

3.) If it is listed as being in a cache -- I see who dropped it off, and when. Assuming it has been a while, then I look at the cache. If it has been found numerous times since it was dropped off I read the logs. If there were some cachers that only had a few finds right after it was dropped off, I'm pretty sure it got picked up by someone that doesn't know what to do with trackables. If the logs then indicate something like 'no TB's', I'll move it to unknown and plan to rerelease it soon.

If it is stuck for a while but I don't quite think it is lost, I will put an entry for it on the TB Rescue area on project-gc.

6 months sounds reasonable. Have you had any experience with requesting travel bugs be "removed from play?"

I picked up a TB that had been missing. The duplicate bug was in Europe. The TBO decided it was easier for me to mail him back the original, and leave the copy travelling in Europe. And he mailed me back the postage. I think it had been missing for six months.

I picked up a TB today that was in a cache for three years. The cacher who dropped it there did not log the pick up, nor the drop. So it was marked as missing by the other cache owner.

I've give up moving TBs (for the most part) because they disappear. But this one needed a move. Who knows when that cache will be found again?