Placing Caches In No Cell Phone Reception Areas

SPSF700

I placed a series of caches in the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon along I-84, 3-4 weeks ago and still am waiting for someone to find them. I am wondering if the reason is a no cell phone reception issue in that area. I still use a Garmin GPSr instead of a I-Phone device. Am I now in a minority? Should I be checking for an active phone signal when placing a cache?

Thanks

Bob

SPS Fan

Edited by SP&S Fan

My guess is that the remote location is more of an issue than the lack of cell reception. I use my smartphone for most of my geocaching, including some caches located in places with no cell reception. But places like that are a bit more out of the way than the typical urban/suburban caches that get more frequent visitors.

I placed a series of caches in the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon along I-84, 3-4 weeks ago and still am waiting for someone to find them. I am wondering if the reason is a no cell phone reception issue in that area. I still use a Garmin GPSr instead of a I-Phone device. Am I now in a minority? Should I be checking for an active phone signal when placing a cache?

Thanks

Bob

SPS Fan

human laziness is what you'll see exhibited with any location that isn't a stone's through from a parking lot.

since the phones function just fine without service, i think you'll just see a long wait for FTF if it isn't a park n grab , because of human laziness.

forget checking for phone signal, if people want to go to a cache , they'll make it happen with paper maps, phones, or stand alones. just keep hiding caches that don't suck, Please! :-)

Thanks

Bob

SPS Fan

human laziness is what you'll see exhibited with any location that isn't a stone's through from a parking lot.

since the phones function just fine without service, i think you'll just see a long wait for FTF if it isn't a park n grab , because of human laziness.

forget checking for phone signal, if people want to go to a cache , they'll make it happen with paper maps, phones, or stand alones. just keep hiding caches that don't suck, Please! :-)

This ^

Those that are serious, will see the caches on a map and make the required arrangments - either use a GPS or download the caches to their phone before they get to the area.

Yes, the caches WILL be visited and Found. Just not quickly, or frequantly.

(Often these caches get the better logs!)

the phones function just fine without service

The GPS in the phone works fine without a phone signal - just like your Garmin, it receives signal from satellites. If your gps can get a signal, a smart phone can (although the one difference between the two is space/weight allowed for the gps antenna - the dedicated gps will be better).

But the smart phone cacher will have to see your caches in advance and save them to the phone for later use, using an app that allows this.

Many don't know this, and not all smartphone caching apps will do it, either.

I don't believe the current free app download from Geocaching.com will. The previous, "Classic" app did.

The GPS in the phone works fine without a phone signal - just like your Garmin, it receives signal from satellites. If your gps can get a signal, a smart phone can (although the one difference between the two is space/weight allowed for the gps antenna - the dedicated gps will be better).

But the smart phone cacher will have to see your caches in advance and save them to the phone for later use, using an app that allows this.

I don't believe the current free app download from Geocaching.com will. The previous, "Classic" app did.

thanks for adding "GPS" to that, i guess i had a brain fart when i was posting.

Current model of app (android at least) allows for offline caching.

Well, some of your new caches were found this weekend. I imagine the cacher who got some of them would have gone for the rest, but they may have been published after they already left the area.

I imagine the rest will be found as well. By placing several in the same area, you give more incentive for people to come out and hunt for them versus just hiding one. Don't worry, they'll come.