Mental training for the battle against evil.

blindleader

I’m wondering if there are any mental calisthenics you guys can suggest, that might help me solve the three remaining Dr. Ufo Koska caches.

It’s not that I have no clue about the good doctor. Hunting solo, I’ve found Tenebrous, Macbeth, and even Die Kunst Der Fuge, though that last one required several visits to waypoint two for some reason.

Today I’ve logged my second defeat at his hands. After visiting Paradise Lost repeatedly and unsuccessfully, with a strong conviction that I knew how the cache was hidden. I decided that maybe finding Singularity would help get my brain in gear. That site is even more barren of plausible hides than the other. I won’t even try The Last Resort, till I have a handle on his brain.

I’m this far from throwing a hissy fit out of frustration. I know the doctor must be very gratified to be reading this, and considers it a fine gift from two of his six children on Fathers’ Day. But beware, Dr. Koska. People driven to extremity sometimes do extraordinary things. I could be driven over the edge to evil myself.

[This message was edited by blindleader on June 15, 2003 at 12:08 PM.]

Make sure you do your homework -- look up referenced lines and meanings of words. In addition to exercising your brain, don't forget to give your fingertips a workout.

Stop and look, pause and consider, then feel around for anomalies. I found all but a couple of his micros by touch.

I think it helps to have kids along -- they see things from different perspectives, and haven't yet learned to overlook the familiar. Of course, I don't have any children to help...

It's been too long without a new Koska Kache to do,

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by lucyandrickie:

Wher is that Koska...and that Dr. Imso Evil?

Have they retreated into thier secret hide-outs in Moses Lake?

Perhaps the Evil Doctor is fishing out there. Some good walleye and bass or is he devilishly planning a ultra evil hide?! Yeah, I'm ready for a couple more caches from him.

Most of my Koska find have been by touch too. Keep an open mind as to what you are looking for. His coords are very, very good.

quote:
Originally posted by blindleader:

Yes, I've noticed that, and it makes me wonder what technique he's using; Differential GPS? Average of multiple fixes taken on different days using optimum satellite geometry?

Both. Well, not DGPS per se, but WAAS. You'll note that all of his caches are in areas with a good view of the sky where he can receive WAAS signal, and he makes multiple trips to each site at varying times in order to insure a good spread of satellites.

When we first confronted the Art of the Fugue, we found the coordinates to be - gasp! - about 15 feet off (after multiple trips and up to 3 hours at a time there). He actually went out the next day to check his coordinates and after some more measurements, he adjusted them by a mere one 1/1000 of a minute of latitude. It is a testament to his accuracy that we had expectations exceeding the realistic capabilities of the GPSr, and that he took the time to immediately recheck the coordinates after that episode!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

quote:
His coords are very, very good

Yes, I've noticed that, and it makes me wonder what technique he's using; Differential GPS? Average of multiple fixes taken on different days using optimum satellite geometry?

Moun10bike has it right. The hides are intentionally, sometimes maliciously nasty. As a counterbalance, my evil minions are under strict instructions to get the most accurate coordinates possible. They use techniques that include WAAS, least squares averaging of repeated measurements (including error estimates), and repeated measurements over a series of days, at different times which are carefully chosen to represent various satellite constellations.

As for Paradise Lost, I urge you to become a student of Milton. GPS coverage at the cache site is uniformly excellent but using a GPS coverage prediction tool like Leica SKI can help you be at the cache site when coverage is best. The prediction I get right now is that between about 10:30am and 1pm you should be in good shape.

quote:
least squares averaging of repeated measurements (including error estimates)...
Are you trying to tell me that your coordinates are in the 1m accuracy range? That means I'd have to dredge out some of the engineering education from the rusty bilge of my brain.

I always use the Leica software to choose the best time to hunt a difficult cache. It minimizes the area requiring microscopic search. That's why I found the first waypoint for Die Kunst Der Fuge in five minutes flat (neener neener neener. icon_biggrin.gif, couldn't resist).

On Paradise Lost: Both Hydnsek and I have read the relevant Milton and agree about how the cache must be placed but just can't find it. icon_mad.gif Stomp icon_mad.gif Hiss icon_mad.gif

quote:
... between about 10:30am and 1pm...
Yep. With the best single moment occuring about 1250 to 1300 depending on how low in the sky you would like satellite 3 to be.

quote:

quote:
least squares averaging of repeated measurements (including error estimates)...
Are you trying to tell me that your coordinates are in the 1m accuracy range?

No, for several reasons the accuracy won't be that good. The big thing to remember is that unless YOU go back and make repeated measurements, even if the placer gets coordinates accurate to, say, 10cm, the combined error of 10cm for the placer and (say) 4 meters for you will result in you being placed within about 4m. Probably but not necessarily less. My observations from repeated visits to PL is that the coords have always placed me within about 3 meters of the cache.

quote:

I always use the Leica software to choose the best time to hunt a difficult cache. It minimizes the area requiring microscopic search. That's why I found the first waypoint for Die Kunst Der Fuge in five minutes flat (neener neener neener. icon_biggrin.gif, couldn't resist).

That's a good plan. I assume, then, that you're not really trying with Singularity, which is placed in a spot with a good view of the sky?

quote:

On Paradise Lost: Both Hydnsek and I have read the relevant Milton and agree about how the cache must be placed but just can't find it. icon_mad.gif Stomp icon_mad.gif Hiss icon_mad.gif

Well, at least you're not like those other people who don't post DNFs.

I take it people are ready for the next cache, then?

I think picture in this document shows one the the doctor's evil minions researching the next cache.

quote:
the big thing to remember is that unless YOU go back and make repeated measurements,...
That's what I meant. If I know the given coordinates are of a high accuracy, I'm tempted to do just that. If I really had too much money I'd cough up for the DGPS 1m service ($800/year) and the equipment to go with it.

Hmmm...speaking of DNF's I counted mine the other day and I am 18 DFN's for WA. Some of those DNF's are only conted once cause I see no use in posting them over, and over, and over, over well you get my point. The Evil Dr. accounts for a large part of Sad Face icon_frown.giftotal.

Well I will go ahead and say it I too think I'm ready for another Dr U.K. cache. At least it will bring alot of us together for a mini event. icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hmmm...speaking of DNF's I counted mine the other day and I am 18 DFN's for WA. Some of those DNF's are only conted once cause I see no use in posting them over, and over, and over, over well you get my point. The Evil Dr. accounts for a large part of Sad Face icon_frown.giftotal.

Well I will go ahead and say it I too think I'm ready for another Dr U.K. cache. At least it will bring alot of us together for a mini event. icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Horizontals where it's at!

I think I posted 4 DNFs on the Cottage Lake one before finding it...boy that one was a tough one for me. Teh coords were great, but I just didn't see the dadgum thing.