Multi Cache Puzzler

Ark_Glad

Hi experienced Geocachers, newbie here with a theoretical question...

I have this idea for a multi cache puzzler but not quite sure how to set it up on Geocaching.com.

The idea is that there would be a number of caches that would each have a puzzle to solve to give one or more coordinates to the final cache. I'm thinking at the moment there would be around five of these puzzle caches.

Do I submit each puzzle cache as a separate entry, or should I set up the first puzzle cache as a Multi Cache and provide the coordinates to the next puzzle cache in the first one along with the puzzle for some of the coordinates for the final cache?

Hope this makes sense and any help, advice or tips would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Arkwright

You could go either way.

For multi, each stage would have information to get a person to the next stage as well as a puzzle to get coordinates for the final.

or,, and i think this would be more popular with finders,

Each be a separate GC.com listed cache, each containing part of the puzzle that leads to the final cache.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. The only problem I can see with the separate GC. Com option is that no one will be able to log the cache that the puzzle answers lead them to as that won't be published. They can log each individual cache but I'll never know if they solved all the clues and found the prize. Would it work if I started a multi cache and added way points to each puzzle cache after the first one? This way I assume they wouldn't log the multi cache until they had found the final one.

I'm not sure what you are really trying to do.

log the cache that the puzzle answers lead them to as that won't be published
If it's not published it's not a cache.

I'll never know if they solved all the clues and found the prize
How would you ever know since the cache isn't published and can't be logged? Also why do you need to know? All you need to know is that they found your caches, which you will learn when you receive the emailed copy of their log.

Would it work if I started a multi cache and added way points to each puzzle cache after the first one?
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this. By definition, a multi has additional waypoints.

You might find it helpful to actually find some multi caches and unknown caches so you get an idea of the many forms those caches can take.

Some of my Favorites have been multi-stage puzzle caches, where I had to solve a number of real-world puzzles, which ultimately led me to the final stage where I signed the log book. The entire thing was listed as a single mystery/puzzle cache. You log a Find when you complete the entire thing, find the final stage, and sign the log book in the final stage.

The other approach that can work is to list each container as a separate cache listing, with the final being a bonus cache for the series. The series caches are generally listed as Traditional caches, and you can log a Find for each of them separately, as you find them. The bonus cache (which uses the information/puzzles in the various series caches) is listed as a mystery/puzzle cache, and is logged separately once someone works out the coordinates and finds the bonus cache. Touchstone linked to the relevant Help Center article: Mystery/Puzzle

Thanks for your thoughts guys. The only problem I can see with the separate GC. Com option is that no one will be able to log the cache that the puzzle answers lead them to as that won't be published. They can log each individual cache but I'll never know if they solved all the clues and found the prize. Would it work if I started a multi cache and added way points to each puzzle cache after the first one? This way I assume they wouldn't log the multi cache until they had found the final one.

So, i guess you want it to be more like a multicache with just one cache published on gc.com. You can set it up like a multi where each stage gives coordinates to the next. The exception would be the final which could only be found after finders solved the puzzles at each of the other stages. Sounds doable but i think it would need to be published as a mystery cache.

Edited by Mudfrog

You would do this as multiple traditionals. Place a puzzle in each to get coords to the final.

The final would be a mystery cache.

This was my first thought, but I couldn't work out how I would ever know if the mystery cache was ever found (unless the finders sent me an email maybe) as no one would be able to electronically log the cache as it wouldn't be published on geocaching.com. I suppose I could check the cache periodically and see if anyone had manually logged their details.

If I set it up as a multi cache and added waypoints to all of the puzzle caches, can the finders log each waypoint as having been found? My thoughts on this one is that no one would log the initial multi cache as having been found until they had solved the puzzle and found the mystery cache at the very end.

Does that make sense?

This was my first thought, but I couldn't work out how I would ever know if the mystery cache was ever found (unless the finders sent me an email maybe) as no one would be able to electronically log the cache as it wouldn't be published on geocaching.com. I suppose I could check the cache periodically and see if anyone had manually logged their details.

If I set it up as a multi cache and added waypoints to all of the puzzle caches, can the finders log each waypoint as having been found? My thoughts on this one is that no one would log the initial multi cache as having been found until they had solved the puzzle and found the mystery cache at the very end.

No it doesn't.

If set up as a series of caches with info for a bonus, you publish that bonus as a mystery (?-mark on the map) with bogus coordinates no more than 3.2 Km from where that cache is hidden. Only if people have collected the info found in the other caches they will know the real coordinates for the bonus at which point they can go find it, sign the paper log and online.

Seeing you only have 5 founds you might try to find more caches first so you get the hang of how things work.

BTW, you have to take great care on how to create a formula for a bonus, it won't be the first time that just taking a good look at the formula and topo map will get you the correct coordinates with very little info found ;)

Thanks for your reply on4bam...

I wasn't planning on putting my plan into action for some time to be honest. I'm just one of those people who likes to come up with an idea and then throw it out there to get as many thoughts and opinions as I possibly can. In addition I've identified some puzzle and multi caches that I'd like to do over the next few weeks to give me a flavour of what other people are up to.

Had I not put my idea up on the forum then I wouldn't for example have known about adding bogus coordinates to a bonus cache.

Many thanks for your input.

I wasn't planning on putting my plan into action for some time to be honest. I'm just one of those people who likes to come up with an idea and then throw it out there to get as many thoughts and opinions as I possibly can. In addition I've identified some puzzle and multi caches that I'd like to do over the next few weeks to give me a flavour of what other people are up to.

Had I not put my idea up on the forum then I wouldn't for example have known about adding bogus coordinates to a bonus cache.

You could also set it up as a multi but not publish coordinates for the WPs except for the first of course. At each stage the cacher has to solve something or find a tag for the next stage. The final WP will the have coordinates for the cache itself.

I prefer the multi setup over the series + bonus but many will prefer a series as it increases their numbers with xx instead of just 1 for a multi. They can also find a few and increase the find count. The multi will get you less visitors (and less maintenance) but might (if done well) give you a high percentage of favorites.

Here's are a couple examples of series that are near your existing hides:

Bonus cache A: A mystery cache with bogus coords. The coords to find the actual bonus cache is determined by finding 10 other caches in the 'series'. Each of those 10 caches contains one of the numbers for the final coords. Finders of the series will get 11 smileys, since they would log each of the 10 caches and the 1 bonus cache.

Possible variation. Instead of Traditional caches, then 10 caches could be mystery caches instead. Each of those 10 caches could be a mystery cache with a puzzle in the cache description. Cachers would then have to solve a puzzle before finding the individual cache and getting the piece of info for the bonus cache.

Bonus cache B: A mystery cache with bogus coords. The coords to find the actual bonus cache is determined by finding 10 waypoints, which are noted directly on the cache page. Finders of the series will get 1 smiley since the 10 waypoints are not separate caches and therefore are not logged separately.

Possible variation. Instead of listing the coords for each of the 10 waypoints in the cache description, then just list the coords for the 1st waypoint. In the container at the waypoint, include the clue number AND the coords for the next waypoint.

FYI - Keep in mind that you don't have to use 10 caches. You could do 5 or 3 or 7.

For example, if using 3 intermediary caches: A = 1, B = 2, C = 3. Then in the description for the bonus cache, you can have formulas like "D = B + 5 and E = A + 6". These types of formulas will allow you to create as many numbers as you need with however many caches you want to place.