Offline maps for caching

cachem8

Wondering if there are any apps (for android) that you can download maps for offline caching? I am currently using c:geo, and it works fine, just the maps seem to take forever to load. If there was some way to just get offline maps, not caches, as I have a GPS and only use phone in "spontaneous caching", that would be great. I know the obvious answer would be to use some application where you have the caches offline too, but if it's spur of the moment, then you wouldn't have pre-downloaded all your caches, and you wouldn't have your GPS with you.

Hopefully this question is answerable...

Wondering if there are any apps (for android) that you can download maps for offline caching? I am currently using c:geo, and it works fine, just the maps seem to take forever to load. If there was some way to just get offline maps, not caches, as I have a GPS and only use phone in "spontaneous caching", that would be great. I know the obvious answer would be to use some application where you have the caches offline too, but if it's spur of the moment, then you wouldn't have pre-downloaded all your caches, and you wouldn't have your GPS with you.

One is "Locus Maps Pro". The Pro version includes downloads of a couple of free maps, plus you may load free OSM street maps. I have two states loaded now. It also works well for Geocaching. I load the same Pocket Queries (and more) into that, so I have a backup. Also I can add distance rings for saturation checks, or use other tools that aren't on a GPSr.

There are other mapping programs that are fancier, with TOPO or whatever. One is Gaia GPS. You can manage maps and waypoints online. I have trails on my GPSr now, but for a while I only had streets & TOPO. Since Gaia GPS also loads caches, it was useful to be able to superimpose them on a map. But of course it works fine with just maps.

Edited by kunarion

download your states maps and you can use your current app and maps offline. there is a how to on their website

GDAK.

Does it all.

GDAK lost its maps on my 'droid. So I deleted it. I don't recommend it anymore.

I never had problems with maps on GDAK. It did crash when using the filter for the last few releases but that's fixed too. Sill works as a charm especially in combination with GSAK.

GDAK.

Does it all.

GDAK lost its maps on my 'droid. So I deleted it. I don't recommend it anymore.

I never had problems with maps on GDAK. It did crash when using the filter for the last few releases but that's fixed too. Sill works as a charm especially in combination with GSAK.

I meant to say that I had that problem. Sorry for the confusion.