User name with '&' and space characters

J0zef

Hi, I see that there are some user profiles with character "&" and spaces e.g. "Naja & Sorrow" https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=21291f66-9b65-4de9-82ef-ad2162f5e85c&wid=21c3d171-0626-4ef2-bd80-0477a92c553b&ds=2

How can I change my user name to such name ?

When I use "&" and space in My profile page as a Username I got error "This username contains invalid characters".

Thanks for help.

BUT, sometimes you just may want to avoid potential conflicts. I know that it's successfully used by other cachers, but YOU'RE having a problem!

In computer-land, the ampersand character is occasionally used as an 'escape' character. Forget about what that means; just know that in certain situations, it may not display or be read correctly.

So, why not just not use it when you know there's a POSSIBILITY that there could be a problem, somewhere?

BUT, sometimes you just may want to avoid potential conflicts. I know that it's successfully used by other cachers, but YOU'RE having a problem!

In computer-land, the ampersand character is occasionally used as an 'escape' character. Forget about what that means; just know that in certain situations, it may not display or be read correctly.

I've never seen it used as an escape character. However, it is used as a delimiter in URL to pass parameter data to the web server. For example, look at the URL for your post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=339939&view=findpost&p=5593400

See the &view=findpost and &p parameters.

The ampersand character is also used for representing character/symbol entities in HTML. For example, to display a blank space, use

an ampersand can be displayed using

&

It's also used for decimal equivalents for characters or symbols such as a star symbol like this ★

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Use a PC. I've had no issues with "&"

The site used to allow this character, but it no longer does. I just tried to add "&1", "& 1", and " & 1" to the end of my username, and it rejected all of those forms. It looks like existing usernames with the ampersand are still allowed, but I bet if you changed your username, you wouldn't be able to change it back to "AB&JB".

I feel this is a good thing. That character in a username already causes problems here in the forums (you can't ignore that user), and I'm sure it causes many headaches for the developers.