Cache Adoption?

Boo1979

From the Help Center:

Archived geocaches cannot be transferred, and rarely will archived geocaches be unarchived for the purpose of adoption.

Link for reference:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

I think it's safe to say you could replace the word "rarely" in the above guidance with NEVER.

The preferred procedure is to submit a Listing of your own, under your User account. If you like the history of the previous placement, you would more than likely be allowed to put a link in your Description to it.

Hello all,

I have a question. Is there a way to adopt from a CO that no longer plays the game and the cache has been archived?

Thanks for your help.

No, there is not. The cache owner needs to initiate the adoption.

Presumably the container has been removed, so there's nothing to adopt out to someone else.

If the cache listing is archived, the location is presumably free for someone else to place a new cache, assuming it passes Review and adheres to all Guidelines, etc.

B.

Hello all,

I have a question. Is there a way to adopt from a CO that no longer plays the game and the cache has been archived?

Thanks for your help.

No, but the space is now available so you can place your own cache there--provided that it meets current guidelines.

Sometimes, people who want to do this are interested in adopting an old, archived cache and "Keep it Going" because it has an interesting history and great logs or because it was around for a long time and it seems a shame to end it's run.

If this is the case, when you write up the listing page for your NEW cache, extoll the virtues of the OLD cache "previously located in the same place" and put a big ol' link to the archived cache so people can go look at it. Don't forget to mention and thank the original CO.

If, however, you want to adopt an old cache to save you the trouble of creating a container and a listing page, then "no dice". Do your own work.

Sometimes, people who want to do this are interested in adopting an old, archived cache and "Keep it Going" because it has an interesting history and great logs or because it was around for a long time and it seems a shame to end it's run.

If this is the case, when you write up the listing page for your NEW cache, extoll the virtues of the OLD cache "previously located in the same place" and put a big ol' link to the archived cache so people can go look at it. Don't forget to mention and thank the original CO.

If, however, you want to adopt an old cache to save you the trouble of creating a container and a listing page, then "no dice". Do your own work.

+1 I agree.

I'd like to add...

Sometimes, people who want to do this are interested in adopting an old, archived cache and "Keep it Going" because it has an interesting history and great logs or because it was around for a long time and they need that old date for a challenge they're attempting. :lol:

+1 I agree.

I'd like to add...

Sometimes, people who want to do this are interested in adopting an old, archived cache and "Keep it Going" because it has an interesting history and great logs or because it was around for a long time and they need that old date for a challenge they're attempting. :lol:

That, I think, would be called "cheating".