Geocaching with Snow Cover

Mxyzptlk

Since we are getting near the snow season here in NJ (and it feels like it actually may snow this year), I was wondering if it is considered rude to ask people NOT to search for a cache with snow on the ground.

I recently hid my first cache in a small park that may be used by local teenagers (paintball players from what I understand). I wouldn't want snow tracks leading to the cache because its bound to draw attention; especially since its not on a trail or near any other point of interest.

I would imagine this would be a concern of other caches as well. What is the proper way of dealing with snow cover and geocaching?

Last winter was little snow so you may not have any problem with it.

BUT

You could temporarily disable cache online and then physically remove the cache. Put it back in spring and then undo the disable online. I would also post a note on cache page if you did this.

You could leave it and if snow really flies they may continually cover tracks and I think many geocachers would not go out in snow. I doubt I will but then again I am hooked and if the temps are warm who knows?

I would not post a note asking for no hunts because many geocachers just download coords and then will hunt without checking page or using old printout. (I have been fooled by old printout many times. Will I ever learn?

You can just disable it when there is snow on the ground. You don't even have to go and get it. If the cache is disabled, most people won't look for it.

But as Orange said, there are some people (like me) who've loaded dozens of Geocach waypoints to their unit and don't check the cache page. So it would be possible that they wouldn't know if it were disabled, or removed for that matter.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

What is the proper way of dealing with snow cover and geocaching? I guess that depends on the cache. Mxyzptlk, sounds like you should remove your cache. Particularly if you are worried, it just is not worth the concern.

I do not believe that a “hooked” person would even give a second thought about letting a little snow bother their caching fun. Walking, skiing, or snow shoeing, going out in newly fallen snow is one of the great pleasures of hiking and caching.

One of our best caching experiences was at Island View by the Magster (Woof!). We enjoyed this one in just plain hiking boots.

Now as special for BrianSnat. Just to remind you of what we did on finding your Swamp Thing cache in the snow.

Question for Mxyzptlk – How do you pronounce your name?

Brian – Your two latest pictures suggest that you are spending to much time working on your fantastically good looks. Or is it possible that this is the result of eating too much eggplant?

I'm not so sure snow tracks are a problem. It might help if cachers took a few simple precautions such as taking a circuitous route to the cache and/or brushing snow over their tracks on the way back to the trail. But I did do a few caches in the snow last winter and from what I saw after I was done, I didn't think anyone could follow the muddle of footprints all over the place, what with the drunken bee dance I was doing trying to locate those caches.

quote:
Brian – Your two latest pictures suggest that you are spending to much time working on your fantastically good looks.

Now that I'm involuntarialy and temporarily retired, I do have a lot of time on my hands.

I was reading some suggestions in another forum about how to deal with your tracks in the snow leading to a cache. One of the funnier ones was suggestion to bring a small bottle of water with yellow food coloring and pour it around the cache after you put it back. I think that would discourage curiosity seekers, and probably other Geocachers too!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm