Identify Unknown Cache

I found an unknown cache today in Ledges State Park, Iowa. We were hiking a trail in a nice preserve and to amuse myself while the Mrs. stopped to photograph some wild flowers along the trail, I looked in a nearby tree trunk that looked like a perfect place for a cache. And there was an ammo can in there.<br data-text="true">The name on the ammo can was "Lost Monument Cache". There was no GC code on the can or in the log book. Earliest log in the log book was 2013 and it was last found in April 2016. There is another cache not too far away called "Forgotten Monument" which we also found. I can't find this "Lost Monument Cache" on the Geocaching web site. Is there some way to look up an archived cache? Or maybe it's listed on some other site. The cache was located at N41° 59.610' W93° 53.307'.

No cache has ever been submitted on Geocaching.com in the immediate vicinity of those coordinates, including hidden waypoints of multicaches or puzzle caches, archived caches, and submitted caches that were never published. It is possible that someone was informed of the need for State Park permission and recycled a cache listing, leaving an ammo box in place. But the better theory is that the cache is or was listed on another listing service.

Quite puzzling. I took pictures of the first and last pages of the log book and looked up some of the users. They posted logs for the 'Forgotten Monument' cache on the same day as their logs on this one, but made no mention of this cache. The side of the ammo can had a sticker with the cache name, and "for information go to www.geocaching.com'. My first thought was another listing service, but then why the reference to geocaching.com on the side? You'd think it would mention the other listing service address if that was the case. I think I'll message the CO of the Forgotten Monument cache to see if he knows something about this one.

It could be the final to a multy. The two mile rule does not apply.

Expand your search to look for a multy. Also check out the profile page of those who hide in the area. Look at there hides to help find this cache.

If you read Keystone's response, that option was ruled out. Any Hidden Waypoint should still appear in the system to the Reviewers. Either that, or someone fat fingered their coordinates on their Waypoint when they submitted it. I noticed that there's a nearby Challenge with a Puzzle solution for the Final, but I'm too lazy to work it out :ph34r:

I think what you found was an earlier iteration of the "Forgotten Monument" cache container, and the current "Forgotten Monument" one is a replacement or throwdown. A couple photos in the gallery to look at are the 4/24/2016 and 6/16/2013 photos. The labels on the side of the ammo box are different and the 6/16/2013 label looks like it might've said "Lost Monument".

The 8/4/2014 log on Forgotten Monument is a bit odd. The finder mentions that they were the first to sign the "new log", but there was no preceding Owner Maintenance log saying that the log was replaced. Maybe someone saw the DNF on 7/31/2014 and replaced the cache to avoid the 'oldie' getting archived.

It could be the final to a multy. The two mile rule does not apply.

Expand your search to look for a multy. Also check out the profile page of those who hide in the area. Look at there hides to help find this cache.

If you read Keystone's response, that option was ruled out. Any Hidden Waypoint should still appear in the system to the Reviewers. Either that, or someone fat fingered their coordinates on their Waypoint when they submitted it. I noticed that there's a nearby Challenge with a Puzzle solution for the Final, but I'm too lazy to work it out :ph34r:

Sometimes older caches don't have all the waypoints in the system.

I found an unknown cache today in Ledges State Park, Iowa. We were hiking a trail in a nice preserve and to amuse myself while the Mrs. stopped to photograph some wild flowers along the trail, I looked in a nearby tree trunk that looked like a perfect place for a cache. And there was an ammo can in there.<br data-text="true">The name on the ammo can was "Lost Monument Cache". There was no GC code on the can or in the log book. Earliest log in the log book was 2013 and it was last found in April 2016. There is another cache not too far away called "Forgotten Monument" which we also found. I can't find this "Lost Monument Cache" on the Geocaching web site. Is there some way to look up an archived cache? Or maybe it's listed on some other site. The cache was located at N41° 59.610' W93° 53.307'.

Does this look like the ammo can you found?

03f25aa3-04e9-4d06-98c7-c30972d7931e.jpg

I think what you found was an earlier iteration of the "Forgotten Monument" cache container, and the current "Forgotten Monument" one is a replacement or throwdown. A couple photos in the gallery to look at are the 4/24/2016 and 6/16/2013 photos. The labels on the side of the ammo box are different and the 6/16/2013 label looks like it might've said "Lost Monument".

The 8/4/2014 log on Forgotten Monument is a bit odd. The finder mentions that they were the first to sign the "new log", but there was no preceding Owner Maintenance log saying that the log was replaced. Maybe someone saw the DNF on 7/31/2014 and replaced the cache to avoid the 'oldie' getting archived.