Beware Cape Henlopen, DE area...

CCrew

Just wanted to post a word of warning to anyone considering caching in the Cape Henlopen State Park area. While it's a great park, and certainly full of caches, it's also very infested with ticks.

My daughter and I were diagnosed with the beginning stages of Lyme infection as a result of tick bites we received while caching in the state park the middle of last month. While I certainly realize that ut could happen anywhere, I just wanted to post a word of warning to others that may be considering these caches to be especially careful and take all precautions you can.. Please take extra precautions that you don't come home with something other than a McToy!.

Regards,

Roger

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

Oh yes, we were in Cape Henlopen SP last weekend and hit every cache. Even though the ticks were pretty bad we were more bothered by the biting flies.

Sorry to here about your Lymes infection. (I had it years ago) The only good news is you caught it early and your body will develope anti-bodies to fight off Lymes Disease in the future... Ski...

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

I've been wondering... what works for biting flies? DEET doesn't seem to do much. Am I going to have to wear a beekeeper's net the next time I go caching in Salem County? icon_smile.gif

Not really a preventive, but when I get one of those deerflies buzzing around my head, I stop, look straight up, and hold my arm up, with the base of my thumb about 6" above the tip of my nose, and wait.

It usually takes less than half-a-minute...

What this does, is that deerflies usually land on the highest part of your body. Hence, they'll land on your hand/arm when its up in the air. Once it lands, I smack it with my other hand....No more deerfly!...icon_biggrin.gif

It just suck, that about 5 mins later, another will start buzzing me... icon_frown.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

I've been wondering... what works for biting flies? DEET doesn't seem to do much. Am I going to have to wear a beekeeper's net the next time I go caching in Salem County? icon_smile.gif

Brian taught me to carry my hiking stick above my head. I attach a bandana or cap to the handle and hold it about a foot over my head. The flies, gnats and other flying pests swarm above me. I do get the occasional rouge fly that wants to be my pal. But the majority leave me alone.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================