Cache disappearance mystery

Cachez

Bit of an odd one, this, and I'm interested in any theories people might have.

I have two caches which were found by a a number of people including a local cacher who appeared to be caching with a group of kids. She then decided to check on the two caches at a later date (not the same date, a couple of months apart) and reported them missing. Having confirmed myself (and got husband to do a sanity check) that both were definitely missing after a thorough search, I replaced them, only for this to happen:

Cache 1: next finder reported two caches in situ next to each other. I went to remove one and found both gone so decided to change the location. Have not yet checked the first location again.

Cache 2: replaced cache with new log. Next finder confirmed they were the first to sign the new log. The next day, another finder reported the log was full and both confirmed there were two caches in situ.

Contacted the person who reported them missing who says she just happened to be passing and decided to check and found them gone. I'm definitely not suggesting she had anything to do with it, but I am rather mystified by it. The spare cache 2 has been rescued and returned to me with the new replacement left at GZ.

It's not really a major issue, but I'm just intrigued! Anyone got any ideas?

A similar thing happened to one of my caches. On the first muggling, everything was left sitting out in the open except the log book was missing. I replaced that but a few months later it was muggled again. This time the container was taken, with its contents left piled on the rock, including the original logbook. Both mugglings coincided with school holidays, so I expect it's kids playing games. The cache now has a more obscure hiding place and so far has survived.

Yeah, I have since made them both premium so will see if they have any further problems. We do seem to get a lot of parents and kids caching around here in the holidays.

You just reminded me, I found a cache last year where the log had been ripped to shreds and carefully replaced in the container!

That was initially my first thought but it was the fact that both were returned. I'd have thought kids would just take them and chuck them in a hedge or something.

I could also just be an inexperience geocacher. It wouldn't be the first time someone went out geocaching without understanding how the game is played and assumed that they were supposed to take a cache they found home with them and rehide it elsewhere. Then, when they discover that they are just supposed to sign the log and put the cache back where it was found, they might return the container.

If the caches go missing again it could be bored kids, and if that happens you're probably going to have to find another place to hide it.

I'd go with the inexperienced cacher theory, although inexperienced cachers and bored kids may be one and the same. I came across this situation last summer and sent the following message to the CO:

Hi guys-- I went out for this cache today and now there are two containers there. The original larger one--with the original log-- was lying right out in the open. After I signed the log, I was moving rocks around trying to hide it a bit and uncovered the smaller replacement container. I signed that log also and rehid both containers; they are within about a foot of each other. I think I should log 2 Finds for this cache (just kidding).

Shortly before the CO replaced the cache, there had been this log from a cacher's very first find

I found it and it was all raped up in rock colored tape and it was by the rocks

followed by a number of DNFs.