Travel bug

Marpat5957

I placed one of my travel bugs (WOC2014) with a specific goal.

"This travel bug starts its journey during de World Championships Orienteering in Venice. Its first goal is to travel through Europe during 2014, after that to try to get to other World Championschap areas : in 2015 Scotland, in 2016 Sweden ( Strömstad-Tanunn end of August ) , in 2017 Estonia."

So please try to take this TB to this places . Thank you ."

He started on the organisation of WOC 2014 in Venice, and reached Woc 2015 in Schotland.

Since then he is in the position of a premium member lid "Saniafeh" , a person in Germany who possesses over 200 travelbugs. (all from other people, his own travelbugs not included)

On my first demand of placing the travel bug in another cache, he didn't react.

What am I to do?

Inactivate the travel bug?

Can someone do something to remove his premium membership as he don't respect the rules?

The cacher that has your bug has moved it along quite regularly. The last log was two days ago. Wish all my travel bugs moved this well. As for demanding that the cacher drop it off well..... That may not be the best course of action. It's been two days. Life happens in between caches. Give it a little time.

The last log wasn't 2 days ago, that was an automatic took-it-to log, not a real log. Do you really think he is carrying a bag with 200 trackables from cache to cache?

The cacher that has your bug has moved it along quite regularly. The last log was two days ago. Wish all my travel bugs moved this well. As for demanding that the cacher drop it off well..... That may not be the best course of action. It's been two days. Life happens in between caches. Give it a little time.

The last log wasn't 2 days ago, that was an automatic took-it-to log, not a real log. Do you really think he is carrying a bag with 200 trackables from cache to cache?

Have to go to page 82 to see when the current holder grabbed the TB (5/16/2015). It certainly appears that the current holder is auto-visiting the TB to every cache they log.

My understanding is that the only option for the OP would be to continue emailing/messaging the holder and asking them to drop the TB in a nearby cache. At this point, I'd probably ask them to just drop it off anywhere, and hope that the next cacher helps it along its missing.

Who knows. I do agree that they have held onto it for much to long. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. I do know that sending confrontational e-mails will do no good at all. If you still have the tracking number take it back from him. Chances are he won't even know it's missing. At least make him work for it.

I will give it some time. Maybe a last mail. Since I have the tracking number and the copy tag of the travel bug, i will take it back as you suggested and send the copy on his yourney.

I don't understand why people who are member of the large public of geocachers and who enjoy the game of geocaching, don't respect the rules of travel-bugs.

I don't understand why people who are member of the large public of geocachers and who enjoy the game of geocaching, don't respect the rules of travel-bugs.

Everycacher should insist that all Trackable items be treated with respect.

Some things desired by TB Owners are, prompt placement of the TB and accurate logs, and placement in a cache that's selected for its unmuggleness. And photos and stories of the TB's adventures. Keeping the Owner updated on exactly what's going on with the held TB, even if after trying one's best to care for it, it is lost. Yes, respect.

Not just carrying it around cache-to-cache forevermore. Definitely not taking, making no logs afterward. It's “Trackable”, serialized, it's someone's property, and relatively expensive.

But while there are Stats accumulated for mishandling Trackables, there are no Stats for “respect”. Perhaps a person or group could present annual awards for the cachers who handle Trackables properly. From a list of candidates nominated by happy Owners. Just one example of the criteria could be, that he places a Trackable into a cache, logs it, writes a nice log, and now the next cacher finds and logs it correctly also. The perfect hand-off. It requires research and extra work to get a Trackable safely on its way. That special effort should be encouraged.

In case of a TB that somehow has a goal to be carried around by one person, consider how well that is being done. It's not always an exact stat, it's an award based on how Trackables are actually being handled. If someone arrives in the Forum wondering why the holder never communicates (see its logs, are they “took-it-to” with no actual info for months?), that holder is not in the running for a prize. He only gets the Stat. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

I will give it some time. Maybe a last mail. Since I have the tracking number and the copy tag of the travel bug, i will take it back as you suggested and send the copy on his yourney.

I hear ya. You always hear about the one or two that are doing it wrong. You rarely hear about the thousands who do it right every day.

Ok somewhat still new to GC whats a automatic took it log????? sorry had to ask... curiosity got me.... I just activated my first trackable tonight..me...window stickers...