Good geocahcing GPS to use in tree filled Georgia?

Nymm

I haven't been an active geocacher in a while, but I'd like to get going again.

I have an eTrex that is about 10 yrs old. I really like it, but I just can't get enough satellite signals to get a consistent position. I can hardly ever get even three satellites. I don't blame the GPS, I blame all the trees that cover absolutley everything here. I don't want to use my phone, it's not very accurate either.

I'd like to get something in the $150-$250 range that has really good reception, one that can pull down signals through buildings and all these pesky trees.

I'm really interested in what current geocachers are finding a lot of success with. Any recommendations?

Edited by Nymm

At the high end of your range, I just saw the Garmin Oregon 600 on sale for $249, with the same price on a garmin 64s. Both units have GLONASS. I have an Oregon 600,and have used it in canyons and forests, but if making a new purchase would consider strongly the 64s. I have also seen the Etrex Touch 25 for the same price. Buttons or touchscreen?

You can find the older e-trex line cheaper (such as the Etrex 20).

All of these units will get you where you want to go. A lot of it depends on personal preference - the display, size, interface you prefer.

Edited by geodarts

Hi Nymm,

I know you prefer buttons but if you change your mind and want to go with a touchscreen I have an Oregon 600 for sale on the Garage sale side of this forum. It comes with City Navigator North America (road maps) and I may still have my SD card that has the Garmin Topo Maps (or there are plenty of high quality and FREE Topos out there on the web). Let me know if you're interested as I'm sure we can meet on a price that's in your range. :)

The 64s comes with a basic basemap. It's been my experience that the topo map that you pay an extra $50-80 for with the "t" models isn't worth the cost when you can install free topo maps that are more detailed. I suppose the only feature on Garmin's topo maps not available for free is the underlying elevation layer, which lets you view the expected elevation profile ahead of you for a route, and relief shading. When I upgraded from an Oregon 450t to an Oregon 600, I opted not to pay extra for the topo version since I had been using downloaded maps instead of the pre-installed topo map. I turn off the shaded relief because it slows down map drawing and often makes it difficult to see details on the map. And I rarely look at the elevation page while hiking, only looking at my elevation profile after activities, so having that elevation data in the map itself wasn't much use to me. But then, I'm fairly good at judging an elevation profile just by reading the topo lines on the map.

So, no, I would save a few bucks and just go with the non-topo version unless the topo version goes on sale for the same price.